cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
edwardp
Level 7

How to delete large log files

My McAfee livesafe install has an 8GB log file that I can't delete. There are no log cleaning settings in the program that I can find, and the file itself is access-locked, so it can't be deleted easily.  How can I get rid of this?  Secondly, what is allowing the file to bloat so badly in the first place that can be fixed?

Attachment shows a screenshot of the file in question...

Thanks!

0 Kudos
24 Replies
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Re: How to delete large log files

Strange I have a 8Mb file as the largest log file. Will ping a tech to comment.

Mate have you seen this

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

You haven't created a vault with file lock have you?

or had support run a log collecting program to sort out an issue and they activated verbose logging?

If selvan does not reply soon call support

Support

I have an idea how to delete the file but best wait till we see what Selvan says the file is.

Reading old posts 1 says it is a log of firewall events in so in  Firewall \ firewall history deselect lo events. Really I have it selected so unless you are being hit heavily I cannot see it building so high.

0 Kudos
edwardp
Level 7

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I have check the following:

Vault with File Lock: I do not have this option in McAfee Live Safe, so I assume it's off, and I haven't intentionally used it even if it is on.

Firewall Logs: Logs were turned on to log all events. I can't imagine that I have 8GB of stuff going on in this area though. The file is so large I can't open it, easily, even with sublime text reader. Regardless, I have shut this off. If it is correct that the firewall log would not be deletion protected, then this is not the issue because the log file is not deletable, with the following error: "The action can't be completed because the file is open in McAfee Home Network"

Are there any other options before I proceed with the uninstall/reinstall route? I'm concerned that it will simply keep happening if I can't find the actual solution.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​,

Have you attempted to contact Technical Support as suggested in Post #2\and Post #7?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Edward Preble wrote:

Are there any other options before I proceed with the uninstall/reinstall route? I'm concerned that it will simply keep happening if I can't find the actual solution.

Thanks again!

Hi Edward,

Please reach out to Support whom has tools to disable Verbose logging. If you are comfortable (doing yourself) I can send the instructions through a Private Message.

Tier 2.5 Technician
0 Kudos
edwardp
Level 7

I haven't contacted support yet because they don't have any kind of email option. I don't have the ability to use chat or phone at work right now.

Is there a way to delete the file without uninstalling?  Disabling logs etc may solve the going forward problem, but I still cant get rid of the file.

Instructions to disable the verbose logging would be great to try.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

There is no way to delete it other than removing all McAfee software, rebooting and starting again with a fresh installation.

I have the self-same file in my MSC LOGS folder but it's only 34MB in my case.

I tried disabling Access Protection and deleting it, it wouldn't go stating that it was open (in use) in Home Network, so I left it alone.

As to the possibility that verbose logging was turned on, that would only be the case if you had  been connected with a technician at some stage and somehow it was accidentally left turned on.

I will leave that possibility to .  However it wouldn't be memory usage that you would notice then, it would be physical storage size diminishing steadily as the hard drive filled up with logs.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

You could try searching your hard drive for a bat file called McLogCollect - if found, run it and turn off verbose logging in it's settings..

I don't think that's the case here.  Something major must have have happened in order for the logs to amass such a quantity of items.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

I feel you have done all you can here as you have not contacted support the verbose logging would not be applicable and as a tech said the logs it creates can be deleted.

Try the firewall log turning off worth a check to confirm if this the cause. I so fell it is uninstall then reboot run MCPR removal tool then reboot reinstall time. It does not take too long and the file will be gone.

0 Kudos