cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
omninano
Level 8

How to add a items to the "Trusted Items" list?

Jump to solution

I have McAfee LiveSafe (it came pre-installed with my Intel-processor computer).

I am learning to program in C, so I create executable files (applications). McAfee is marking all of those as possible viruses when I compile them and immediately quarantining them. I finally found out how to get to "Quarantined and Trusted Items" and found all my programs in the "Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs" list. So I can remove them from the list, but it still quarantines any new applications I create. There is a "Trusted Items" list, but it  only has a greyed-out "Remove From Trusted List" button. I want to add add the folder I am saving my C programs to to the "Trusted Items" so it doesn't scan them.

So how do I add a folder/file to the Trusted Items list?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
omninano
Level 8

Re: How to add a items to the "Trusted Items" list?

Jump to solution

I live-chatted with the Customer Service. To add things to the Trusted Items list, open McAfee LiveSafe.

Then click on the little text with a check mark next to it (or possibly a red x) that reads "Virus and Spyware Protection."

The second box down should be "Real Time Scanning." Click that.

Now there will be a big white box up top that read "Real-Time Scanning: On" (or Off). Beneath that is a section called "Settings." If Settings is expanded, click the up-and-down arrows next to it to collapse it. Now you will see "Excluded Files."

Click to expand "Excluded Files" with the up-down arrows again and there is an "Add File" button. That is how you add files to the Trusted Items list to exclude them from scanning.

McAfee Excluded FIles.PNG

My customer service representative informed me that you can only add Files to this list. Not folders. So that's kind of frustrating if you need it.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

​,

Evidently even though you Excluded those files, McAfee deems them to be unsafe? I would suggest that you contact Technical Support and get advice. https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/contact      Online Chat/Phone being the quickest by far. Wait times are generally 3-5 minutes.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
omninano
Level 8

Jump to solution

No, I did not exclude them. I simply deleted them from the Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs" list.

I just need to know how to add things to the Trusted Items list.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Moved from LiveSafe to General Discussion>Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Trusted items only show in a popup. you are asked to trust or quarantine the file. In this case McAfee seems not to consider it to be safe. also it seems to be returning so something is active I feel. Try scanning with some of the free scanners after running getsusp.. Note add your email to its preferences so you can be updated on the file detected as suspicious.

0 Kudos
omninano
Level 8

Jump to solution

I live-chatted with the Customer Service. To add things to the Trusted Items list, open McAfee LiveSafe.

Then click on the little text with a check mark next to it (or possibly a red x) that reads "Virus and Spyware Protection."

The second box down should be "Real Time Scanning." Click that.

Now there will be a big white box up top that read "Real-Time Scanning: On" (or Off). Beneath that is a section called "Settings." If Settings is expanded, click the up-and-down arrows next to it to collapse it. Now you will see "Excluded Files."

Click to expand "Excluded Files" with the up-down arrows again and there is an "Add File" button. That is how you add files to the Trusted Items list to exclude them from scanning.

McAfee Excluded FIles.PNG

My customer service representative informed me that you can only add Files to this list. Not folders. So that's kind of frustrating if you need it.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

Glad that all is okay now

Thank you for sharing.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

That really is not trusted Mcafee will bypass that if it really thinks the file is bad. Trusted is only available via popup and has been removed in the new 15.1 version of security centre.

This explanation was given to us when we asked the techs in our conference call several times. If it works please let us know so I can ask them why.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Jump to solution

I was under the same impression PK, until I seen what the OP stated that Customer Service said. Quite possibly the OP could post the (Service Request Number)  so Selvan can check it out?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Good idea   can you post the service request number you got please.

0 Kudos