Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

How to Exclude Folder or Drive from All Access Real-time Protection

I installed McAfee All Access Internet Security as part of the Time-Warner package.  I want to exclude an entire drive from real-time scanning.  I cannot figure out how to do it.  Any help, or is this just a limitation and can't be done with McAfee?

7 Replies
Highlighted

Re: How to Exclude Folder or Drive from All Access Real-time Protection

This is no longer possible with the new LAM engine that everyone is getting gradually.  The software only scans a drive or a folder if you access it.

Only individual files can be excluded.

Are you asking where to find this setting?  What interface do you have, green or the new blue one?

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

This feature needs to be added back.  I have the same issue, i have a folder I do not want scanned and it has several hundred files, and this will take forever to add and manage.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Time Warner has been acquired By Spectrum/Charter. Are you subscribed directly from McAfee,or through your Internet Provider? Regardless as Ex_Brit has explained that this due to the Next Generation Scanning engine.

Please refer to the following comments from the Virus Scan Product Manager;

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

"McAfee Product Manager, here.  I'll take a crack at explaining how we've changed the scanning technology & why.  But let me first encourage those of you who like the ability to scan a particular file or drive that we are currently working on re-adding that to the product."

Maybe i am missing something does this also applied to excluding Folders from the Real-time scanner.

Also this is from June 12, would think this would be available now.  Definitely should not take a month+ to add this and do the required do the required regression testing.

Highlighted

Real time scanning has never had folder exclusions. Custom scanning did as did scheduled scan and custom scan excluded disks you choose as well. This was in 14.* versions 15 and 16 versions are a new scanning engine as Cd and Peters say.

The ability to scan a particular file or drive is there in the right click option of custom scan (the new one) you can right click on the drive or folder in windows explorer and scan it. Not it scans only files it knows can carry virus loads so the scanning total of files will be lower than you expect.

There is an update coming to scanning in August 1 so we shall see if any change but I think it is more in relation to the scanned file total shown.

PS I have asked that manager for confirmation whether he meant readding exclusions

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

It is now February 2018 and AFAIK it is still not possible to exclude a directory (folder) from real time scanning.  Is it time to change to AVG I wonder?  Very easy to configure what I need there there. 

I have two machines, one with McAfee and the other with AVG working over lan on common database on one machine; not an unusual method of working .   Real time scanning slows things down to the point of being unworkable.  There are hundreds of files in the shared directory and in no way is it practicable to enter each one as an exception in McAfee. 

Does anybody have a solution or should I just put AVG on both machines?

Highlighted

I have McAffee LiveSafe 16.0 R23, which came with my new personal Windows 10 PC. I am an ethical security tester (CISSP, C|EH) doing penetration testing for my company, and as such, I have all of my testing tools on one disk. That's for a reason. Some of these tools cannot be replaced as they are no longer actively supported, or available, but they still do the job for which they were intended very well. All total, this amounts to 273 Gb of tools that I keep for my work The LiveSafe product does not allow me to exclude that drive. It came with my new PC so I decided to give it a try. My former AV product, Norton Internet Security, does allow for full drive exclusion. So does McAfee intend to support this capability, or do I need to move back to my former product? Please understand, I'm not attacking or challenging your strategy or demeaning your product. It's a good product with apparent limitations for my needs. I'm simply asking about your intended product development direction so that I can make an appropriate decision as to how to protect my PC while protecting my tools and way of making a living. Thanks for your time.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community