cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
echo
Level 9

How long for a scheduled scan ?

I have had a scan running for about 7 hrs and it is still only at 57% complete I heve never experianced one this long before also noticed that it is slowing down the PC (for the last few scans)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How long for a scheduled scan ?

If you have very large drives or if a drive is compressed or encrypted, or if you have a huge number of zipped files, then the software will take a long time to scan.  Is this a scheduled scan or a custom one?   With the latter you can perhaps tailor the scan to be more selective and take less time as a result.

When posting back give details of the version of McAfee (from "About") and what operating system and service pack this is.

That said I have 3 TB's in total and a full scan of everything takes about 2 hours.

Technical Support may be helpful here and Australia is the one for your area.  http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=3081&sg=TS

It's free of charge.

0 Kudos
echo
Level 9

The drive is only 500GB and 239GB are free so not much at all. no zipped files that I know of and as I said it is a scheduled scan

Version 11.6  updated  15.05.13

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

What operating system and service pack (if applicable)?

Drives that small shouldn't be an issue.

You need to do a chkdsk /r to check for and correct any disk-read errors.

I can post a guide to that if I know what OS this is.

0 Kudos
echo
Level 9

Running Vista home and is bang up to date. have run several disc checks which show nothing the scans also show that all is ok so afaik I can rule out virus.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Did you run the disk checks with the /r parameter?  That one not only detects errors but tries to repair them.

If you did  and it turned up clean then I suggest contacting Technical Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
echo
Level 9

Just had a thought, after so long the monitor and PC go into power save mode but that should not stop the scan or will it ?? and yes I did the detect and repair.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Yes any power options that shut down or sleep the internals would slow or even stop a scan.

0 Kudos