cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
morbuzka
Level 7

How do I uninstall and reinstall McAfee if it came with the computer?

Jump to solution

I have McAfee Internet Security, and it came with the computer. Recently, I have been having problems with my McAfee after upgrading to Windows 7, but because it came with the computer, I have no way to reinstall it without buying it. So how do I do it?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How do I uninstall and reinstall McAfee if it came with the computer?

Jump to solution

Did you try clikcing the activate button.   Usually the first run of the software will ask thyat.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Uninstall via Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool available under Useful Links at the top of this page.

Reboot

Reinstall from your online account here: https://home.mcafee.com/secure/protected/login.aspx?rfhs=1 or via your ISP or computer maker's website, depending on the source of the software.

If you have a problem locating the online account phone Customer Service, it's free.

To speak with a Customer Service representative, call us at 866-622-3911.

Average contact length: 10  minutes

Estimated wait time: 5-10 minutes

Hours of Operation: Available daily, 6am-6pm Pacific

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Jump to solution

Please let us know if your PC is from DELL/HP or Toshiba

0 Kudos
morbuzka
Level 7

Jump to solution

It is a toshiba

0 Kudos
morbuzka
Level 7

Jump to solution

Actually, I don't have to uninstall and use the program, the Security Suite from AT&T automatically does it, but thanks anyways

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I'm a first time poster.....  I have a Dell Inspiron PC with Windows 7.  My McAfee trial subscription has expired and I have loaded AVAST.  When I go to uninstall McAfee, using several suggestions from this community; my computer will not reboot.  It starts to load Windows  and then I get the blue screen of death and then it goes to a page where I can start in safe mode, start in safe mode with network, etc.  If I let the computer go it will just keep cycling between Windows starting, the blue screen of death and the start page with the four prompts to start.

I called McAfee, who offered to fix my problem for a mere $100 for a one-time fix or $300 for three years of continued computer support......  I started in safe mode and did a system recovery to an earlier date.

How can I PLEASE remove McAfee from my Dell without it compromising my files?????

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Jump to solution

Following this set of steps works

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

I have used it oodles of times. Maybe the issue was you had AVAST installed at same time as Mcafee?

Try removing AVASt then try the removal method above. Reboot and reinstall your new AV.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

I have a Dell Inspiron with Windows 7.  AT&T provides me with McAfee already.   What is the best way to uninstall the version that came pre-loaded in my new computer so that the copy that AT&T gives me doesn't get uninstalled or damaged?  Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You can't have two versions installed.  It just isn't possible.   What is the version that came preinstalled and where was that from?

You can always follow the normal uninstall and cleanup procedure outlined in the link in Tony's previous post, then reboot and reinstall from the A.T. & T./McAfee account.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

It's actually not installed.  It's a message that pops up telling me to activate the trial period and telling me that my computer is at risk.  I can't find any spot to shut the message down so I thought that I must have to uninstall the program.  Thanks.

0 Kudos