cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tbditw
Level 7

How do I configure McAfee to allow a spyware program to run?

I have installed a spyware program.  Keystrokes are logged by this program.  How do I configure McAfee to allow the spyware program to run?  Also, how can I access the quarantine files?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: How do I configure McAfee to allow a spyware program to run?

The home version can only be made to allow something it identifies as a potentially unwanted program.  If it identifies it as actual malware there is no exception, unless you can persuade Webimmune otherwise.  http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx

We have asked for more flexibility many times and thus far it hasn't happened.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/07/10 8:18:13 EDT PM
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Sorry I missed the second part of your question.  What shape is your taskbar icon, square or shield-shaped (different instructions)?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Actually I forgot a sticky post I did ages ago about this:  http://community.mcafee.com/thread/2016

0 Kudos
tbditw
Level 7

Here is my complete quesstion:  I have installed a spyware program.  Keystrokes are logged by this  program.  How do I configure McAfee to allow the spyware program to  run?  Also, how can I access the quarantine files?

My McAfee icon is square.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I've already answered your questions.  Basically I said no you can't do that unless it is labelled specifically as a "Potentially Unwanted Program".

The quarantine folder access is in the link in the previous post...

Double-click the taskbar icon to open Security Center

Click Advanced Menu (bottom left)

Click Configure (left)

Click Computer & Files (top left)

You can disable VirusScan in the right-hand module and tell it for how long.

Then click the Restore button (left & assuming it was quarantined) & restore the item.

The second you re-enable VirusScan it will again be quarantined,  but you could use its brief period of freedom to forward the application zipped to Webimmune, as described in a previous post.

We have asked for the ability to exclude files and folders to be reintroduced for many years now and the last we heard, it may happen in the 2011 product....may.

Keystroke monitoring software is basically a keylogger and most if not all A/V applications regard those as malware.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/07/10 9:16:22 EDT AM
0 Kudos