cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
owd
Level 7

How can I block McAfees spam on my PC?

Hi,

Is it possible to block McAfee from displaying these kind of annoying adverts on my PC (shown below)? I have a paid subscription for the Internet Security Suite but don't appreciate them pimping out there other products even if it is only occassionally. I'm paying McAfee to block this type of junk not to add to it. Is there a "Disable McAfee Spam" setting that I've overlooked in the security suite?

Thanks

http://oi45.tinypic.com/xe3fxl.jpg

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Hayton
Level 18

Re: How can I block McAfees spam on my PC?

owd wrote:

Hi,

Is it possible to block McAfee from displaying these kind of annoying adverts on my PC (shown below)?

Is there a "Disable McAfee Spam" setting that I've overlooked in the security suite?

I'm afraid not. We wish it were possible. Unfortunately the Marketing Division insist on these pop-ups and there's no way to overrule them or subvert their machinations. The pop-ups are here to stay, I'm sorry to say, for the foreseeable future.

0 Kudos
owd
Level 7

Not the answer that I wanted but thanks all the same

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

I didn't think it would be. But at least you didn't get any of the usual corporate-speak extolling the virtues of these things. And as it's for Winferno you would have got the same answer (more or less) from the other mods. We think advertising a registry cleaner is a Bad Idea, period, and a registry cleaner from a third-party outfit is an Even Worse Idea. We've made our views known loud and clear several times but McAfee presumably has its own reasons for continuing to promote this stuff. The mods don't endorse it, and we don't mind saying so.

Renewal notices, now .... that's a whole different can of worms. Let's not go there.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Out of interest is this a Dell PC?

0 Kudos
owd
Level 7

Peacekeeper wrote:

Out of interest is this a Dell PC?

No it's an Acer Aspire 4820TG (Timeline X).

The software was pre-installed on the laptop and I've just continued to renew it as my laptop does generally stay virus/spyware/malware free; but these popups are becoming more frequent so I'm thinking of ditching McAfee when its time for renewal

0 Kudos
Hayton
Level 18

I'm thinking of ditching McAfee when its time for renewal

Another brilliant success for the Marketing Division

Message was edited by: Hayton on 08/09/12 04:28:48 IST
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Thanks we notice that Dell Pcs seem to push these ads more than mcafee subscription versions ie bought from Mcafee. So maybe acer does similiarly. What is your affid number in the about screen top right..That way I can get a feel of the version if it is a partner altered 1.

0 Kudos
owd
Level 7

Aff-ID: 662-3

Let me know if you need any other info about my version

Message was edited by: owd on 9/8/12 8:29:09 AM CDT
0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Will do thanks

0 Kudos