cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geoker
Level 7

Help please? Getting wallpaper only!

I have a problem on an XP machine. McAfee ran its normal scan and identified two trojan horses. It removed one and required a reboot. I rebooted the machine. It started up normally until it got to the user logon screen. I could select a user and it would appear to be loading preferences. However, it opened onto the desktop with only the wallpaper showing. No apps, no toolbars, no nothing. I can get the Task Manager window. It shows no applications running and the System Idle Process is running at 99%. I can’t get to anything else.

I can also restart in Safe Mode. It goes through the start up until I get to the user logon screen. After selecting a user, all I get is a black screen with "safe mode" logos in each of the four corners. Again, the Task Manager shows that no applications are running and the System Idle Processes is running at 99%.

Anyone have any idea about how to resolve this?

Thanks for the help

0 Kudos
4 Replies
syed.tabrez
Level 7

Re: Help please? Getting wallpaper only!

May i know when exatly did u install mcafee on ur computer and b4 installing mcafee where u getting any pop up messages that

'your computer is infected by any virus, spyware' or are u getting any security tool which is prompting u to buy any thing...?

0 Kudos
Geoker
Level 7

I have been running McAfee on this machine for several years now with annual update to the subscription. This current problem happened with McAfee "protecting" my machine! No, I am not getting messages from any of the bogus anit-virus/spyware sites.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,

Open task  manager, click applications tab; click on New task  (at the bottom)
Type in explorer.exe and hit OK
Close the task manager and check if the icons re-appear.

Regards,
Dinesh K

0 Kudos
Geoker
Level 7

Thanks for the help. As it turns out, this was a problem with Spy-Agent.bw!mem. I found suggestions for removal of this trojan on another community. It involved a clean boot and then running Malwarebytes. I also took the opportunity to run Spybot Search and Destroy as well as the spybot tool to clean up ActiveX and BHO items. Doing all of this seems to have fixed the problem.

0 Kudos