cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kwelch10377
Level 7

Help...computer won't boot up

The other day I started getting that popup that looks like windows popup saying that my compute was at risk. I tried to run Malwarebytes as that has fixed the issue in the past. Well this time I couldn't get it to open. I ran a full McAfee scan to see if that would fix the issue. Well it ran and found 3 things and tld me in order to remove one of them which said it was a trojan and that I had to restart my computer. Well I restarted it and it started to boot up and got to the point where it would start to populate the icons and then went to the login screen. I clicked on my icon to login (which is the only login) and it started to boot again and then did the same thing. I then tried to start the computer in Safe Mode and everytime I do that it comes up saying that there was an error trying to boot up in Safe Mode.

Does anyone have any idea what this is or how it can be fixed????

0 Kudos
12 Replies
kvmefford
Level 7

Re: Help...computer won't boot up

I don't know the fix but I have the problem, too. It just started on the 28th. I can't get far enough to see anything. Just before it stopped booting I ran McAfee and, like yours, it said I had an infection. I thought everything was quarantined!

0 Kudos
tonyg101
Level 7

I have exactly the same problem. I can't boot up to access the internet so I can't use Mcafee services to fix the problem, or find out what is causing it, or have them remotely access my computer.

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,

There are many reasons why a computer won't turn on and often very few ways to find out what might be the problem. And infact the most common reason a computer won't start is because a hardware component might have failed or is causing a problem but that hardware isn't usually a hard drive . The best option would be to contact the computer manufacturer as they would be able to diagnose the exact reason as what went wrong in the system .

Regards,

Dinesh K

0 Kudos
kwelch10377
Level 7

The issue isn't that the computer won't turn on, it DOES turn on and starts to boot up, but once windows starts it kicks me out to the login screen. I have called around to several PC repair places and it is indeed a virus that is causing the issue.

At this point I have decided to just get a new computer. My computer is 3 years old and the battery on it is also dead, so by the time I spent the money to remove the virus and get a new battery, I could get a new computer for not too much more. I will say that I won't be getting McAfee on it!

0 Kudos
rebirth09
Level 7

I'm sorry to sound angry and bitter, but the fact that you only read the title and assumed the problem wasn't yours makes me worry about McAfee's ability to protect my computer. It, so far, has taken one day to get a responce... one which, for lack of a better way to put it, is completely unhelpful and soon I will have had a broken computer for 2 days.

I understand that McAfee can't protect my computer from every single virus all the time, but it seems like if one did get past they would atleast have attempted to find the problem after 24 hours, not to mention 48.

0 Kudos
rebirth09
Level 7

exact same problem...any help?

0 Kudos
kvmefford
Level 7

This is stupid. You would think that McAfee would help us. We were all using thier software when this happened.

0 Kudos
rebirth09
Level 7

Atleast an acknowlegment that we're having a problem and they're attempting to fix it would be nice.

0 Kudos
kvmefford
Level 7

I called the help desk at McAfee. They said they could remove the virus for $89.95. I don't see how they can get into my computer when it won't stay booted up!

0 Kudos