cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help McUICnt puts auto start for Ctfmon.exe into my registry.

Jump to solution

I stopped ctfmon.exe (Alternative user interface CTF loader) from loading at start up (it was loading from the registry via explorer.exe key location =SOFTWARE\microsoft\currentversion\run) Next time I re-booted  McUICmt.exe put it back into my registry at a new key location (HKU\SOFTWARE\microsoft\currentversion\run) to make it run at start up again. I don’t have any Alternative user interface’s and don’t want unwanted functionality loading at start up. So why is McAfee putting this back, does it use it for some security purpose? if not how can I stop it putting start up items into my registry I don't want?

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Help McUICmt puts auto start for Ctfmon.exe into my registry.

Jump to solution

I don't know how to delete my own posts so I cant delete this thread but I would if I could.

I now don't think it was McUICmt.exe that restored the start up, and I have now found a way to stop it starting.

The reason I thought it was McAfee in the first place was because my start up log showed two lines as follows:

"New software found" (relating to ctfmon)

"ctfmon.exe (process I/D) started by McUICmt.exe"

Anyway problem solved

7 Replies

Jump to solution

Forgot to say

Windows XP SP3 fully up to date till no longer supported by microsoft

McAfee supplied by BT

Jump to solution

I don't know how to delete my own posts so I cant delete this thread but I would if I could.

I now don't think it was McUICmt.exe that restored the start up, and I have now found a way to stop it starting.

The reason I thought it was McAfee in the first place was because my start up log showed two lines as follows:

"New software found" (relating to ctfmon)

"ctfmon.exe (process I/D) started by McUICmt.exe"

Anyway problem solved

exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Did you really want the thread deleted?  We usually try to keep as many as possible to help others.

Peter

Jump to solution

I'm happy for it to stay here, but if its rubbish (I don't know) I don't want people wasteing time on reading it. So you decide if you think it might help someone or not.

Thanks.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Ctfmon is the Microsoft process that controls Alternative User Input and the Office Language bar. It’s how you can control the computer via speech or a pen tablet, or using the onscreen keyboard inputs for Asian languages.

But don't ask me how that's related to McAfee, Technical Support would know and it's free by phone or online chat.  XP SP3 is still supported until sometime next year, so you are OK on that front.

If you really need to know the link is below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Just a thought, there are two McAfee entities that would put mcuicnt into the registry, one is the regular software and the other is Security Scan Plus which is totally unnecessary if you are already protected,  It arrives as an option with such things as Adobe Flash or Reader for example.

So check your Control Panel / Add or Remove for that and uninstall it if you see it.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 8

Re: Help McUICnt puts auto start for Ctfmon.exe into my registry.

Jump to solution

Altered the header to McUICNT instead of McUICMT just to future searchers can find it.