Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 41 of 69

Re: Has the McAfee website stopped working?

Jump to solution

If everyone with this problem has BT as their ISP then it might be a problem on the BT network. Or it might not.

There is some helpful advice from BT which might be useful here :

"Are my Domain Name Service (DNS) settings correct?"

"I've lost internet connection after a McAfee/BT NetProtect Plus update"

"Why does my browser try to load a page but never finish?"

According to Akamai (http://www.akamai.com/html/technology/dataviz1.html) internet traffic is, right now, about 20% above normal and among the two worst areas globally for net traffic and latency are the UK (London) and California (Los Angeles). Guess where the reported problems are, and where the McAfee download servers are ...

Message was edited by: Hayton on 25/08/12 19:13:45 IST

Jump to solution

enemess wrote:

Hi Kerloch,

I wonder if there are two problems here, one being the earlier issue with the DAT update, now BT are blocking or there is a DNS issue somewhere.

I have tried the 'flushdns' and it made no difference. Have also tried a Trace Route to download.mcafee.com where it says it cannot resolve the address. However a tracert to mcafee.com traces the route just fine.

Curious!

Thanks

No because people still can download who aren't with BT.   I feel that it's a BT problem not a McAfee one.

enemess
Level 7
Message 43 of 69

Jump to solution

Hi Peter,

I think you could be right, it doesn't sound like a Mcafee problem. That said my employer does not use BT and I could not download from there either. I guess there is a network issue somewhere and it will get resolved soon.

The issue for my parents now is that they followed the Mcafee advice in the fix and uninstalled their software and now can't get it back.

Don't worry I realise if this is the case there is nothing you can do - we will just have to wait. Thanks for your replies though!

EDIT - Tried the other sites mentioned by Kerloch - they are not working either. Definitely a network problem somewhere!

Message was edited by: enemess on 25/08/12 13:26:15 CDT

Jump to solution

It must be a UK located problem as I can download from the UK servers OK.   Perhaps different servers are involved if you are actually located there, I'm only speculating.

Jump to solution

Is everyone having the problem using the default DNS server? If so then I would suggest trying Google DNS or Open DNS to see if that helps.

It looks like Open DNS requires an account setup though, does anyone know if I'm reading this wrong? I'm using Google DNS but this problem isn't affecting me so I can't tell if it will fix the issue.

enemess
Level 7
Message 46 of 69

Jump to solution

Williamkidd,

Thanks, just tried using GoogleDNS and it has allowed me to connect to some of the sites that weren't working. Therefore it's definitely a DNS issue with BT and perhaps other service providers. Now to sort my parents computer!

Cheers All!

enemess
Level 7
Message 47 of 69

Jump to solution

Thanks Peter! I hope so too. My parents are now left without protection, at least until we can get access to the downloads site again.

Jump to solution

Tried flushing DNS with no joy, turned pc off now.

mattyboyq
Level 7
Message 49 of 69

Jump to solution

Just thought I'd try and get more up to date feedback.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Macaffe earlier this week.  Fine.  Today, it seems to have self deleted and I can't dowload, although I can access the Macafee website.  What's happened with others?

ceejay
Level 7
Message 50 of 69

Jump to solution

I am in similar position. Error when starting pc after holiday that I was not protected. Led to "upgrade" page. Renewed subscription early. Error persisted saying I was not connected to internet. Clearly a McAfee server problem. Atempted to uninstall and reinstall but behold when I log into the mcafee website and hit the "download" button I am told the page is not available. My computer which I have just paid to protect for another year is now not protected at all.

I've download avast free antivirus in the interim. Always use protection

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community