cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
twen88
Level 7

Got an error message since download.macfee.com won't work

Hi there, I keep getting an error message from my MacAfee. It says my computer is at risk since the update cannot be completed due to internet connection issue. My internet connection is fine, and i noticed that when I tried to update it "manually", the download.macfee.com won't even open. I am not sure if anyone else also have the same issue. Can someone help please?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Aldrin
Level 12

Re: Got an error message since download.macfee.com won't work

Can you ping with download.mcafee.com and check the reply address information...

0 Kudos
twen88
Level 7

Hi there, I've attached the info from the pinging. Please let me know if anything I can do from here.

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

Well thats the real problem, looks like some malware has made some changes in the host file, try the following:

Click on Start> Click Run> Type Drivers> Open Etc folder> Open the host file using notepad> Check whether you have any unwanted entries under 127.0.0.1 Local host. If found clear them all, save and exit (I have also enclosed the snapshot of the default host file herewith for your reference)

Click on Start> Click Run> Type cmd> Type IPConfig/ flushdns - now again try to ping with download.mcafee.com and also try to login to McAfee.com and check the status

HOST.JPG

0 Kudos
twen88
Level 7

Hi Aldrin,

Thank you for your help here. I did everything you mentioned from the post above, and I did find extra lines in the host file and got rid off it and save it back again. However, I still could not get into the download.mcafee.com, and I've attached the new pinging screen again for your advice.

0 Kudos
twen88
Level 7

Hi Aldrin,, I was able to resolve this issue by using both your recommendation and post from this thread: https://community.mcafee.com/message/119705

Thanks a lot for your time and help. I must have gotten malware on my computer which has altered some of my DNS settings.

Message was edited by: twen88 on 10/13/10 11:17:49 AM CDT
0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

You are most welcome, it's really great to know that you are on the right track now....

0 Kudos