cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
blue_k
Level 7

Free upgrade to 2013, and a question about cloud protection.

Hello,

I was wondering if I purchase a McAfee Total Protection 2012 license from Amazon, will I get a free upgrade to the 2013 version? Also, I saw a video about GTI, and the application whitelist technologies of McAfee that claim 100% protection against zero day attacks, and was wondering if those technologies were in the consumer version of Total Protection 2013? If they are, how would I activate it?

Thanks!

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 1:54:19 AM CDT
0 Kudos
15 Replies
supp@user
Level 9

Re: Free upgrade to 2013, and a question about cloud protection.

Hello,

When you buy any McAfee product it is automatically upgraded to it's last version.

For example if you have bought McAfee Total Protection 2012 at the very moment the product gets upgraded to 2013 version,

your actuall version of the product will be that same 2013 version.

And yes, those technologies are implemented in the consumer versions of McAfee products.

You don't need to activate them.

Regards.

0 Kudos
blue_k
Level 7

I ran the Aretemis test, and it failed, McAfee failed to detect it, and when I ran "nslookup 4z9p5tjmcbnblehp4557z1d136.avqs.mcafee.com" in a command prompt, that also failed. I found the option for it, and it is enabled, what could be wrong?

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 3:38:54 AM CDT

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 3:39:11 AM CDT

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 3:49:10 AM CDT
0 Kudos
blue_k
Level 7

I still need help with this. For some reason the Artemis test always fails, and it is able to get by McAfee. How do I fix this issue? How do tell if GTI is working?

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 5:07:55 PM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

The engine in the consumer version is the same as in the Enterprise version - it's just the user interface and features that differ.  That said nothing will guarantee 100% coverage against everything that's out there.  Not sure where you read that but I don't think any brand makes such claims because they simply aren't possible with the 100's of new variants that appear daily. 

As long as your subscription is current you will always upgrade to the latest version when it becomes available.

The exception to that is people who obtain the software from 3rd parties such as ISP's and/or PC makers.  Those 3rd parties often delay for testing and branding purposes and in some case quite drastically delay passing the upgrades on and there is nothing that McAfee can do about that unfortunately.  

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 04/10/12 6:36:12 EDT PM
0 Kudos
blue_k
Level 7

In this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUrxb2SJUww posted by McAfee on Youtube, 16 seconds in claims 100% zero day protection. Also, can you help me at all about McAfee not detecting the Artemis test?

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 6:16:46 PM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

That's an Enterprise video and probably is talking about more than one product and to be honest I can't answer your question.  What I'll do is pass this on to my contacts at McAfee and see if I can get them to offer you an opinion.

BTW the audio on that wasn't very good, that person needs to move further away from the microphone next time I think.  ;-)

Hopefully it wont be too long before someone offers you more insight.

0 Kudos
blue_k
Level 7

Ok, thank you. The video was for this http://www.mcafee.com/us/products/application-control.aspx. It is an enterprise product by McAfee, but is it or something like it n the consumer version as well?

Message was edited by: blue_k on 10/4/12 7:45:04 PM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I have no idea as they don't tell us what's inside a product.  I hope to hear from someone by tomorrow.

0 Kudos
blue_k
Level 7

I wes just wondering if you have heard back about anything?

0 Kudos