cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing the On-demand scanner so that it will work

I have a problem and can't run my scanner on Mcafee because each time I do I get a message saying error: starting on demand scanner and will return you to the home page.  I would like to know how to fix it so It will keep scanning my computer for viruses without having this problem.

Thank You,

Elizabeth Behling

0 Kudos
7 Replies
newjack
Level 12

Re: Fixing the On-demand scanner so that it will work

Did you just install this recently,or has this just started happening?Also what version of Mcafee are you useing?I also don`t understand "returning you to homepage" what homepage does it return you to?

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 12:40:47 PM EST

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 12:41:18 PM EST
0 Kudos

it has been happening for a while and I'm not sure as to what version i'm using, the homepage that I'm referring to is the main page that I'm at when i open my virus scan where it shows whether I'm protected or not.

0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

can you click on the Mcafee icon to open up security center?If you can,when it opens on the bottom right hand corner click about.On the top left it will tell you what version you have.Also do you have any other antivirus software installed?If i understand you,you cant do a manual scan?

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 1:07:46 PM EST
0 Kudos

when  I click on about I get a blank page and I don't have any other antivirus software installed (i do have antivir and security tools installed but i would need to pay for antivir so i can use it but i'm not allowed to pay for anything online without my parent's permission)

0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

I think you should let your parents help you with this.I don`t know if this is a family computer,or if it is your computer.Or if there is Administrator blocks that require their help.I don`t know why that is blank.

0 Kudos

it's my computer, i'm the administrator for it but i don't know what else to do to fix it, my dad tried to fix it once, it had worked one time but since then i'd always get that message saying that the on-demand scanner won't work.

0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

1st off you can only use 1 antivirus program.If i understood you right you have another installed?If you do, delete it.Next go to the top of this page and download the mcafee virtual technician.

Run the virtual tech and see if that fixes your problem.You can find this under usefull links(technical support) click on tech support and download.Then run the tool.

Message was edited by: newjack on 2/14/10 1:39:46 PM EST
0 Kudos