cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First McAfee Update after initial download....no internet access

I have windows xp sp 3 and was reading about the problem......my sitauation is this......when i download mcafee for my laptop, I get the older version and all works ok until the computer goes thru the first update....then my internet access goes down.....I can get the Google homepage and even do a Google search, but when I try to get to an individual site, the browser just spins forever and gets stuck....... I have had two Mcafee reps go in and do a remote access, 1st one says he changed host file, and 2nd wiped out all Mcafee and placed a DMsetup file on my desktop to install after reboot.....I have done this and again when Mcafee updates, the internet access freezes....I have wireless access via netgear browser to cable internet.......When I remove Mcafee software, access problem instantly goes away so I know this is it.....have installed and removed probably 7 or 8 times now and problem still there.....I am about to remove for good and try to do something else.......I have spent hours with this now and feel hopeless................Any Advice ??????   Thx   Scott

2 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: First McAfee Update after initial download....no internet access

How do you connect to the internet?   Are you behind any institutional firewall as in a University for instance?

Open Internet Explorer  (whether it's your default browser or not)

Go to Tools/Internet Options/Advanced tab

If IE6 click "Restore defaults", Apply and OK,  if IE7 or 8 click Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen I.E. and go to Tools/Manage Add-ons and re-enable the add-ons.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/09/10 11:19:43 EDT AM
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: First McAfee Update after initial download....no internet access

You might also want to check for malware using the free version of THIS tool.  Update it before running and let it remove everything it finds.