Did you mean: 
mokai
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 30

Re: Firewall Won't Stay Turned On

Jump to solution

Steve -

I feel your frustration buddy; hopefully I can help! I just spent the past several hours trying to solve this very problem myself, including talking to McAfee live chat support. I bet those poor reps get a bunch of hassle from a lot of people, so i can't really come down on them too hard, but their solution to the matter was to try to get me to dish out $85 bucks to purchase over-the-phone support. Not ready to spend that sort of cash on the issue, I kept looking.

http://malwaretips.com/Thread-How-to-completely-remove-ZeroAccess-Sirefef-rootkit-Removal-Guide

This site, so far, appears to have been my silver bullet. I only ever completed the two actions mentioned in Step 1; after that my PC is back to running regularly and my McAfee firewall is working beatifully. I hope you have similar luck.

I would be remiss, however, if I didn't note one side effect resulting of this - In the following hours I encountered a problem attempting to lauch a random program unrelated to the whole mess (a video game save editor). upon restarting I was greeted with another random error message upon startup. At this point, since the main issue of the tojan seemed done and over with, I went ahead and rebooted in safe mode and did a system restore to last week. Since doing this everything is back to normal so far.

Message was edited by: mokai on 7/29/12 6:34:35 AM CDT

Jump to solution

I will give it a shot.  Looks as if I will need to delete McAfee then restore it later if I can get on the Internet.  Thanks for the help!

Steve

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi stevewm,

Can you confirm whether your issue is resolved now?

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Jai,

Yes sir, I can confirm, that at this point, my computer seems to be back to normal.

Your guy was really great, patient and very informative.  Many kudos to him for a JOB WELL DONE.

Best regards,

Steve

Jump to solution

Hi stevewm,

Great, that's really good to hear that your computer is fully secure now.

Jump to solution

Hi

I have just had the same problem

The firewall warning came on

McAfee support

- told me to check the services.msc where there was no sign of windows firewall

-  took control and downloaded and downloaded a patch for windows firewall

- after reboot I had lost the internet connection

Is there a recommended next step, and has the problem that caused this been fixed yet?

Many thanks

Zach

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 30

Jump to solution

What is your Mcafee version?

that said best to update Mcafee to latest by

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Reinstall from your account. You should get version 12.1

Jump to solution

Hi I have had the same problem. Contacted McAfee support (chat version). Got guided by one rep who found ZeroAccess trojan and was told to contact the Virus removal team. The telephone number that was given to me was incorrect or not operational. Then I reviwed this forum for help. I did notice one user (stevewm) was able to resolve the issue, but what was done to resolve that is not clear (maybe some details were exchanged via e-mails)

I'm running McAfee AV Plus, which was about to expire when I started seeing the Firewall turning Off. Nothing related though, but I was assuming this is due to nearing subscription end date . So got the subscription renewed, ran a complete scan etc, but the problem still persisits.

I think McAfee support has been very mediocre when resolving this issue. Everytime I get on a chat session, I am given the same 800 number to call, which does not work (can someone from McAfee check if 18004252353 works in India?)

Any help in this regard is appreciated. I am running Windows 7 Home premium (64 bit version). I am not a complete tech guy, so probably can provide information if you can specifically require to analyze

Regards Guru

Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 19 of 30

Jump to solution

https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/top_threats/blog/2012/12/06/help-i-think-i-have-a-co...

Also there is a new rootkit remover out see This faq

there are also many removal sites but choose a recent post and a site from an AV company or bleeping computer  for safety

Jump to solution

Tried stinger and rootkit remover. Both came clean. But the problem remains

Regards

Guru

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community