cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File with long name in C Drive - I don't have permission to access the folder

Jump to solution

I have a PC and running Windows 7.

I have a file in my C Drive with the name a606a06136963fe62df2caeac5f81d. I can't open the file (or delete it), I get a "You don't currently have permission to access this folder. Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder." error. I haven't clicked it yet, as I'd like to find out a bit more about it.

I tried to research this a bit and according to some it could be a file left over after a failed Windows update - in this case, I noticed the file after I had tried to install Office and it stuck on me. I restarted my machine, uninstalled Office and installed again with success, but that's when I noticed the file in my C Drive. I've run the McAfee Scan and it returns no Viruses, Spyware, etc. I guess I have 2 questions:

1. Any reason to worry about this file? I guess if it really is just as a result of the first failed Office install, then no worries. But I'd let to make sure.

2. Can I just get rid of it? If so, how? Simply click that "Continue" when prompted and then delete?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 9

Re: File with long name in C Drive - I don't have permission to access the folder

Jump to solution

1. No, don't worry.  Various applications can place those rather strange looking files on the hard drive.  I've seen them on mine from time to time. (see pic below for the current list at default view)

2. I wouldn't advise that as it may be essential to some process or other.  You could go ahead with what you suggest, but I would set a System Restore point first just in case.  BTW it may not be successful anyway.  Some files will not allow ownership change or grant permission to change by anyone.

zzzz7.JPG

8 Replies

Re: File with long name in C Drive - I don't have permission to access the folder

Jump to solution

There are occasions when a Windows update fails, for various of reasons. My opinion is that if it states that it is indeed 'Installed Successfully' and there are no explicit detections by the Software, I see no reason to be concerned.

You may benefit form running a 'SFC /SCANNOW' to check the Integrity of your Windows Updates that are installed...Just my Personal Opinion/Observation. Perhaps one of my Colleagues will pick up this thread and add to the discussion.

All the very Best,

-CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Jump to solution

Thanks catdaddy. I think I will run the scannow as you suggest.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 9

Jump to solution

1. No, don't worry.  Various applications can place those rather strange looking files on the hard drive.  I've seen them on mine from time to time. (see pic below for the current list at default view)

2. I wouldn't advise that as it may be essential to some process or other.  You could go ahead with what you suggest, but I would set a System Restore point first just in case.  BTW it may not be successful anyway.  Some files will not allow ownership change or grant permission to change by anyone.

zzzz7.JPG

Jump to solution

Thanks Ex_Brit. I think I'll skip deleting it as you suggest and instead run the sfc scannow as catdaddy mentions above.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

You're welcome.  Warning, an sfc/ scannow will revert any modifications you've made that aren't recognized 7 compatible, such as in my case: adding and activating Vista Windows Mail amongst several I did.

Also it may ask you for the installation media.  It also takes a long time sometimes.

See also the warning in the Tutorial here:  SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker - Windows 7 Help Forums

Jump to solution

With all due respect, if the original poster has not made any modifications, as mentioned. I see no reason to be concerned? Please correct me if I am incorrect...In addition from my experience it generally takes around 8-11 minutes.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 9

Jump to solution

Agreed, there's nothing to be concerned about.  

An 11 minute system file check is a lucky break.  Mine's  taken much longer as a rule.  Just talking from my own experience,. not trying to disagree with anyone.

Jump to solution

I must make a correction , as Peter mentioned Scan time can vary. Just ran one myself and it took 26 minutes. So miles/time may vary.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer