cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't buy your McAfee subscription from Dell

I have 2 Dell laptops - one I got about a year ago and another I just got (both purchased directly from Dell).   When I bought the laptop a year ago I bought a 1-year McAfee subscription.  When I bought the laptop last month I bought a 3-year McAfee subscription.  The subscription for the old laptop was due to expire and the cost to renew McAfee for another year was about $70.  I called McAfee and was told that, rather than renew the 1-year subscription, I could just add a license to my 3-year subscription for about $15 per year.

After being on the phone for over an hour with McAfee customer service and technical support, they told me that because I had purchased my McAfee product directly from Dell - I could NOT just add a license.  Because I purchased McAfee directly from Dell I did NOT have that option.

So bottom line is this - Do NOT buy your McAfee directly from DELL.  If you have more than one computer it is much more expensive that way.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Don't buy your McAfee subscription from Dell

It always pays to shop around.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Login into your McAfee Account

Go to Products & subscriptions tab

Check if you an option to add a license

0 Kudos

Hello karthiks,

Unfortunatley, when you buy your McAfee products pre-loaded directly from Dell, there is no option to add a license.  I tried the steps you listed (log in, go to products and subscriptions) but to no avail.  There was no option to add a license.  I called McAfee directly and spoke to both their Customer Service and Technical Support departments.  They confirmed for me that when you buy McAfee pre-loaded directly from Dell you can not add a license.  At least this is true for Dell computers purchased within the last year and a half - I can speak for earlier ones. 

Thanks for your advice though - I appreciate it.

0 Kudos
karthiks
Level 12

Plasterhamster,

I just wanted you to give a try, but it didn’t worked out.  Sorry for that and thanks for trying

0 Kudos