cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Csrss.exe trojan and calls from a company claiming to work for Microsoft

A short while ago I had a lengthy call from someone claiming to be working for Microsoft and they were responding to messages in Microsoft Cloud that my PC was infected with the Csrss.exe virus. Being cautious once I had all the information I could get I terminated the call. But I cannot find any version of a csrss file that everyone agrees shouldnt be present. Is this guy genuine? I do no t use the cloud at all so am pretty suspicous anyway, but if anyone could offer some advice I be pretty grateful. I have rerun all the virus checks and the Neuber security task manger and nothing is showing up.

4 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Csrss.exe trojan and calls from a company claiming to work for Microsoft

Absolutely not genuine.  Microsoft and their subsidiaries never call out of the blue to anyone, anywhere.   (Nor do McAfee and similar companies by the way).    Whomever it was, was a hoax caller and I hope you did not allow them into your computer or give them any personal information.   If your phone company allows Call Screening I suggest you block their number immediately.

How they got your number is another matter but never, ever post your personal data, email, phone etc. etc. publicly where bots can pick them up.

I'm not familiar with Neuber Task manager I'm afraid.

Here's a link that explains that .exe:  http://www.trickyways.com/2010/03/what-is-csrss-exe-process-in-windows-is-it-a-virus-how-to-identify...

As a precaution download and run Stinger and Malwarebytes Free (do not sign on for the trial) both linked in the last link in my signature below.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/10/12 2:54:59 EDT PM
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Moved to General Discussion as a more appropriate spot.

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 5

This is a fake PC-support scam operation, probably operating out of India. Microsoft managed to get some of them closed down very recently but others are still running. As Peter said, Microsoft will never cold-call you offering to fix a problem that has somehow miraculously been detected from afar. It's a pity you didn't get the name of the company doing this, Microsoft are now actively on the warpath against these companies.

Cheers for the response, I tried to get him to tell me who he was working for but he wouldn't say, that got me pretty suspicious which is why I told him i would look into it myself.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community