Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nedimcb
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 18

Continual annoying advertisements

Jump to solution

McAfee, inappropriately in my view, randomly displays advertisements on our computers (lower right hand corner; see attachment for an example). These are extremely annoying because 1) they take focus and cover other programs and focus cannot be lost, 2) they require us to make several keystrokes in order to remove the display, which takes at least 2-3 seconds to disappear, 3) there appears to be no way to choose to opt out of these annoying ads, and 4) McAfee claim they are concerned with and respect our privacy, yet assail us with unwanted junk.

I tried to contact McAfee to find out how to stop these ads, as should be my right. No one at McAfee seemed to even know about these and were of no help whatsoever. This is unacceptable. If this is how McAfee treats us (and I have been a loyal subscriber for many years, with multiple computers simultaneously), then we should reconsider continued patronage.

In the meantime, does anyone know how to stop these ads?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nedimcb
Level 8
Message 9 of 18

Re: Continual annoying advertisements

Jump to solution

I have substantial time on my subscription (about a year), and it is through McAfee, not Dell, as I switched in order to have all my computers on one license. I am not aware of an "expired Dell version."

Strangely, after getting these adverts every day for weeks, they suddenly stopped after I posted my original message complaining about them. Coincidence or cause and effect? Or have I teased Murphy and will pay for that?

Ned

17 Replies
Hayton
Level 18
Message 2 of 18

Jump to solution

Maybe there is a way, because I don't get them. It might be dependent on which McAfee package you've got installed - mine's a pretty basic Internet Security 2010 - what's yours?

I agree that there should be an opt-out for these, and I think there was some discussion about this subject a while back. I'm sure one of the other mods will recall what came out of that discussion.

nedimcb
Level 8
Message 3 of 18

Jump to solution

I am using McAfee Security Center and have substantial time before my subscription expires on any of the four computers I have licensed.

I know there was discussion of this issue, but it was a year ago according to the searches I did, and nothing was resolved (that I could discern).

Jump to solution

Marketing at it again will ask in next week's call.

k3tg
Level 14
Message 5 of 18

Jump to solution

Your screenshot has the Dell logo within it. It is possible that Dell has originated this since they have partnered with McAfee as a provider of the software

nedimcb
Level 8
Message 6 of 18

Jump to solution

I fail to see why this is relevant. It is not Dell who provide the software and the "offer" would be through McAfee in any event, however it is veiled. I believe the "Dell" logo is just to show the origination of the original contract. My license with McAfee, however, was changed to them some time ago, not Dell.

k3tg
Level 14
Message 7 of 18

Jump to solution

Just trying to gather the facts with your issue. I have not had any advertising pop ups for quite some time now. The last one I got was back in March or April.  Peacekeeper said he would follow up on it.

Jump to solution

Is your subscription expiring soon? What Tom mentioned the Dell symbol seems to me to imply someone thinks you still have a dell version of Mcafee either installed or an account showing it. Does your account show an expired dell version?

nedimcb
Level 8
Message 9 of 18

Jump to solution

I have substantial time on my subscription (about a year), and it is through McAfee, not Dell, as I switched in order to have all my computers on one license. I am not aware of an "expired Dell version."

Strangely, after getting these adverts every day for weeks, they suddenly stopped after I posted my original message complaining about them. Coincidence or cause and effect? Or have I teased Murphy and will pay for that?

Ned

Jump to solution

Probably just coincidence. Was the email address and user name the same for your current account and d the old 1. I can get the techs to check up and delete the old Dell account. That is if if comes back.

It does to me sound as if the old Dell account is spruking for a sale. 

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/10/11 2:37:25 PM