cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lar34
Level 7

Constant "McAfee Security Center has stopped working" popup

Jump to solution

All day I have been getting a popup that tells me Security Center has stopped working. I have run the security scan, and my computer is protected. However, this popup will come up at random times, interrupting what I'm doing. It's annoying and I can't figure out how to make it stop. It says "Windows is checking for a solution to the problem", then "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." I have not been 'notified' if a solution is available. Instead I just get more and more annoyed by this...can anyone tell me what's wrong with it and how I can fix it? It happens at least once every two or three minutes, interrupting me in my work.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
winger14
Level 8

Re: Constant "McAfee Security Center has stopped working" popup

Jump to solution

The DAT is 6837, but I think you might be on the right track.  I eventually ended up reinstalling McAfee Security Centre with software from the official McAfee site, however, I could not turn on real time scanning or get the software to do any scanning for that matter.  The real time scanning would turn off a second after I turned it on.  Any manual scan would just error out.

I did some sleuthing around the Internet and determined that a manual update was probably required, which I did, and everything has been working fine ever since.  I ran MVT after I downloaded the software from McAfee and it told me there was a discrepancy of some sort with the DAT (I think it said 0).  Unfortunately I forgot to save the MVT log.

The delay in update theory you have sounds like it might be the problem in this case,  I have a  Dell.

0 Kudos
21 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Have you any other security software installed?  Also have you been running any regsitry cleaners lately?   Any other strange behaviour observed?

Try running the Virtual Technican.

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

0 Kudos
lar34
Level 7

Jump to solution

I have McAfee and that is all. I don't know what registry cleaner means. But I didn't notice any other strange behavior. It just gives me this annoying popup every few minutes that I can't avoid or stop. I'm running the Virtual technician right now.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

A registry cleaner is any software that offers to make your system run faster or more smoothly or to 'optimize' it.  They are all notorious for 'cleaning' vital registry keys and causing legitimate software to malfunction.

This could, and I say only 'could', be an infection.

Try running Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both linked in the last link in my signature below.

0 Kudos
ramug
Level 7

Jump to solution

Same kind of issues occuring to 4 of my computers - 3 desktop computers and a laptop. It all started after the recent updates that were installed automatically on all of them. This window is popping up all the time and same message again and again. No registery cleaner nothing installed no new software upgrades or any other new instals done recently other than the "MCAFEE UPDATES".

Message was edited by: ramug on 8/25/12 1:51:15 PM CDT
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

Has running the MVT as mentioned earlier helped at all?

If not then the only option is to uninstall via Control Panel in the normal way then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of the page, reboot and reinstall from the online account.

lar34
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. I ran MVT and it eliminated all of the popups for now. I don't know if they'll come back and if that happens I'll just run the virtual technician again. Thank you for helping me!

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

It should have fixed it so let's hope that's the end of it.  All the best.

0 Kudos
winger14
Level 8

Jump to solution

I have a very similar problem.  My computer tells me that

1.  McAfee will not work as the application failed to initialise.

2.  MVT tells me it's not running either and connot detect McAfee.

3. I have a number of services running (see below).

4. McAfee Security Scan Plus tells me all is well.

120916-McAfee-Stopped-Working.jpg120916-McAfee-Stopped-Working-Image-2.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

McAfee Securiity Scan Plus is not part of your suite but installs as an optional extra with other products, usually Adobe Flash or Reader etc.  You can uninstall it via Control Panel > Programs.

If MVT can't detect a product it's usually because either you are using Enterprise/Business products or you get your home products from a 3rd party such as your ISP or computer maker (Dell for instance) and they alter the software sufficiently to fool the MVT - which I trust you downloaded from http://mvt.mcafee.com/ .

If your protection keeps popping up that it has to close it's usually clashing with something else.   I suggest contacting Technical Support directly as they can check for that.  It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos