cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
korsakov
Level 7

Constant Pop-ups after "Trojan" detection by McAffee

I have annoying pop-ups on Chrome, FF, and IE - often they advertise even for McAffee products! Recently McAffee detected and deleted a Trojan horse file. But apparently it did not help! In the meantime I deleted IE 7 although there are still pop-ups coming up with the IE logo in the top left corner of the pop-up window. There are pop-ups showing up from FF and Chrome (I believe not Opera). I was running PestPatrol, I ran Windows Defender, I ran a full McAffee Virus Scan. Nothing helped. Can anybody help? Thank you!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: Constant Pop-ups after "Trojan" detection by McAffee

Hi,

If you believe you have a virus or other malware on your computer,I would recommend to run Stinger to remove those specific threats from your computer. Please Click here to run the scan.

Regards,

Dinesh K

0 Kudos
korsakov
Level 7

Thank you,

- I ran Stinger several times: no threats found.

- I ran PestPatrol: no threats found

- I ran McAffee Total Protection 2009 Full Scan twice, it finds 6 files with the Vundo Trojan horse. It quarantines but the problem persists with the next reboot.

Amazing that often McAffee shows up in these pop-up ads advertising for its products
What would be the best way to get rid of this Trojan horse? I thought I was protected but apparently I am not. The suggestions on the web are rather confusing.

Thank you for your help!!

0 Kudos
korsakov
Level 7

Quite embarrassing for McAffee. Finally, I used malwarebytes.org which helped me to remove 22(!) infected files and get rid of "McAffee" pop-up ads. This matter supposed to be called "Total Embarrassment" vs. "Total Protection". Wow!!

0 Kudos