cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Congratulations McAfee on being truly awful

Genuinely worse than any virus I could ever wish for, it's like some shoddy programmer's funny joke - Lets create an antivirus that eats all the power out of your computer before spamming you to death with mindless notifications, updates and unrequited restarts. Even better, lets have it come free as an add-on for literally every single thing on the internet. That way, when the foolish user forgets to un-tick the appropriate box for the billionth when they're trying to install a completely unrelated program, we'll crawl inside their world and make it hell.

McAfee Scanner Service sucks up about 40% of my CPU ability even when it's not doing anything, and constantly bombards me asking for updates to the point where I disabled half of it, hoping for a brief reprieve. No such luck. I now get hammered with incessant notifications tell me that I should reactivate or search for updates.

Just thought you guys should know. I'm uninstalling this right now and will recommend absolutely any other antivirus program. EVEN Norton is better than this. Hell, i'm going to go out of my way to warn people what a truly horrible service you are and post it on every forum I can find.

I hope you all step on a plug.

8 Replies
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Congratulations McAfee on being truly awful

First off, you're wrong, but then I'm only a customer like yourself.

There is no such thing as McAfee Scanner Service, by that name anyway, but there is McAfee Security Scan Plus which is an optional download with many 3rd party products, Adobe and uTorrent for instance, and is merely a sales tool and can be uninstalled easily via Control Panel - Programs and Features.

Those optional downloads serve to keep the 3rd party products free by drumming up advertising revenue for them.  It's up to you to watch when you are downloading and/or updating anything these days to make sure there are no optional extras already included.

If that isn't what's eating up your CPU then please specify exactly what software and version you have installed and what operating system this is, plus what kind of machine and CPU are you using?

Also note that McAfee provides totally free Technical Support by phone for all their consumer products.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Intel True Key/PasswordBox Support (alter country at top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Ah, but now I've uninstalled I'm both wrong and free of McAfee, which I think we can all agree is infinitely more bearable than me just being wrong

Reliable Contributor selvan
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 9

Hi

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Did you try contacting Support?

Hi. I didn't, but I've uninstalled so it's all good thanks. I can see why John went on the run though...

Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 9

A sense of humour is a valuable asset I find....;-)

Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Seriously, there is such an entity now in my software I see  (I was not in my usual system when replying earlier on),. but it's on only when a scan is running I believe, so if that is eating your CPU somehow, it shouldn't be.  Selvan who has already answered you is the best person to find a solution.  I don't see that high usage though running mine.  Either Selvan or Technical Support are your best options.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I was actually feeling quite depressed until your final line..

guacomo wrote:

I hope you all step on a plug.

Oh my - that's the best curse ever! I hope you mean a UK 13amp plug - they are the worst by far, much more so than the bendy USA versions. 

I will respond in kind - "I curse you to walk on legos"

Stepping on Lego in the dark is both excruciating and terrifying - what if there is more out there in the shadows??? Better sit put and wait till dawn, i'm sure I can hold this wee in...