cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maestro72x
Level 7

Cant connect to internet after removing McAfee Internet Security Suite

I am a Tech working on a clients machine remotely while im away.

I was trying to install updates on his Vista machine (yes I know vista is horrible)

Updates failed over and over and I read that MaAfee was the problem so I removed McAfee.

Now my client cannot connect to the internet at all either wifi or hard wired.

I removed McAfee via the Add/Remove tools and also got him to run MCPR.exe

I checked the proxy settings all clear.

dont know what else to try considering im having to walk him through everything over the phone.

Ideas?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Cant connect to internet after removing McAfee Internet Security Suite

Vista's fine and I use it all the time, Vista SP2 that is.

McAfee shouldn't have any effect on the internet connection unless something else was at play such as an infection or the user had been using registry cleaners and removed essential keys.

When McAfee installs it automatically detects the connection and configures itself around it.  When uninstalled it leaves the connection how it found it.

In Vista have you tried going into the Network and Sharing Center in Control Panel and repairing the connection?

Here's another thing you could try:  http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corrup...

Plus there is always System Restore to go back to before all this happened but don't forget to update Windows and McAfee, if still installed.

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

In addition to that, you can also check and see the connectivity in Safe Mode with Networking....

0 Kudos
maestro72x
Level 7

Yes I did try to reset the win sock luck

Message was edited by: maestro72x on 1/28/11 8:29:52 PM CST
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It's probably just a driver needs reinstalling.  What does Device Manager say under Network Adapters?

If it's showing with an exclamation mark try right-clicking and selecting Update Driver Software and see if Windows has it stored..

If that show OK then try resetting Internet Explorer - Tools/Internet Options/Advanced and click Reset, Apply and OK.

Close and reopen IE and go to Tools/Manage Add-Ons and reenable any add-ons you need.

See if that helps.

0 Kudos
maestro72x
Level 7

No exclamation marks    Its both the LAN and wireless not working I ve seen this problem before and it looks like whatever driver the Internet security uses to protect the computer from attackers is still there even tho the mcafee isnt  I'm eventually gonna reinstall Mcafee and I'm sure the Internet/network connection will be fixed but really wanted it gone for good

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

When he ran MCPR did it say it ran successfully or not?  Also the machine must be immmediately rebooted to complete that removal process.  Try running MCPR again and rebooting.

I wish I could think of something else, sorry.  You or perhaps better he could always contact Technical Support Chat via the link under Useful Links above.

0 Kudos