cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot open McAfee Antivirus plus

I can't  open my McAfee AntiVirus Plus. It opens a white window on my desktop, but I don’t have access to the products menu anymore. I can't even run a scan. I can not verify my subscription, I can not access the McAfee site. All McAfee icons on my computer are inactive. I could not run the Virtual Technician. When I tried downloading the McAfee Subscription verification patch again I ended up with a blank screen.Any ideas?

7 Replies

Re: Cannot open McAfee Antivirus plus

Hi,

A blank window is due to the script engine that is not functioning properly.

Step 1 - Reinstall Windows JScript

Step 2: Re-register JScript.dll and VBScript.dll:

• Click Start and select Search.
  • In the Search box, type CMD and click OK.
  • In the Search results window, right-click CMD and select Run as Administrator.
  • In the command prompt, type REGSVR32 JSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.
  • After the confirmation message is displayed, type REGSVR32 VBSCRIPT.DLL and press ENTER.
  • Close the command prompt.

Update us on the status once if you are still facing any trouble.

Meanwhile please update us with the below details:-

Operating System: (Windows XP/ Vista / Windows 7)

Browser Version: (IE 7 / IE 8 / IE 9 / Firefox / Google Chrome)

on 3/31/11 2:33:03 AM CDT

Thanks. Seems I have compound problems. My search function is deactivated and when I tried downloading JScript I got this  message: Set up jas detected that the service pack version of this system is newer than the update you are applying. There is no need to install this update.

I am using Firefox version 3.0.19 on Windows XP

That is an old Firefox mine 3.6.16 and version 4 is out as well.

What service pack for XP?

Hi,

It appears like this issue needs some more diagnostics, I have sent you an e-mail requesting for more details on the same. Kindly have it replied so that we can help you better on this issue.

I actually have been experiencing the exact same problems that "computeridiot"  is experiencing.

Not only is my search function also not working (it's basically a blank screen) but my system restore function also will not open. And, I have also experienced the white screen he/she has described. One difference is that I have McAfee Total Protection ... not sure if that would make a difference.

I use the newest versions of Firefox, Chrome, and IE on my Windows XP - I'm not sure which service pack I have on this computer.

Any help would be appreciated!! I'm worried that my computer is infected in some way.

Message was edited by: lonewarrior601 on 7/13/11 2:13:33 PM CDT

Try the suggestions re java above.

Not using beta browsers are you?

Then try the following in order

GetSusp

The actual download is available HERE

Set preferences with your email address so they can contact you if needed

Please read this McAfee article: Required Reading - Home User Assistance, Malware Troubleshooting

If you can isolate the malware that isn't being detected you can try submitting it to McAfee Laboratories.

Fake Alert Stinger

This tool detects and removes "FakeAlert" malware variants - please post in the forums if it misses anything.  It also must be freshly downloaded each time as it is updated on the website every weekday.

There is a special section of the forum devoted to this tool:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/security/top_threats

The download and Terms of use is here  http://www.mcafee.com/apps/free-tools/termsofuse.aspx?url=/us/downloads/free-too ls/fake-alert-sting...

McAfee Free Tools webpage:  http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/index.aspx

Some infections are difficult for antivirus software to remove because of the way they work or because they are constantly mutating and that is where certain anti-malware tools come in handy.  By the same token, these tools aren't that good at protecting you from the millions of infections that your antivirus application already keeps out.  It is by no means a bad reflection on any antivirus application that one finds oneself resorting to using these tools.  They are meant to supplement your protection.   But keep them updated!

Then download and run Malwarebytes

www.malwarebytes.org. Anything it finds take a pic of the detection list showing the FULL pathe of the file and post it here.

The above "should " imply that you are fairly clean of malware so if you still are having issues ask further

Also sure you not on beta Ie9 or release candidate of same?