Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fatfenders
Level 8

Cannot instal att mcafee

Jump to solution

1. Completely re-installed xp

2. Downloaded, installed latest copy of firefox.

3. Go ATT Mcafee site

4. click download

5. Mcafee error message... my browsers are too old.

6. NOT.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
fatfenders
Level 8

Re: Cannot instal att mcafee

Jump to solution

Peter,

Thanks for that. That was the problem. All is now well.

That said, (and speaking from 30+ years as a mainframe developer, now retired), there is absolutely no excuse for a company like ATT to not update the error message. It explicitly states that IE6 or greater is required. Which is simply not true. I am an exclusive (or very nearly) Firebox user so it did not seem important to me to install IE8.

I can also say this... before I posted here I did ATT Chat. Got some hayseed who asked me all the "computer 101" questions, then advised I completely rebuild my system after I told him that is what I had just done. Must be a lot of amateurs runn'n around the halls of ATT IT.

I would think just a whole lotta folks have this same problem and therefore would think this would be well documented (and known) in level 1 circles.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JaiPrakash
Level 12

Jump to solution

Hi fatfenders,

Kindly update me with the following details:

Browser Version details of Internet Explorer: (IE 7 / IE 8 / IE 9)

Operating System Service pack installed: ……?

Meanwhile Update Microsoft Windows to ensure that your computer is up-to-date, do the following: 

Open your web browser and go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com

0 Kudos
fatfenders
Level 8

Jump to solution

winver.jpg

IE.jpg

Firefox.jpg

0 Kudos
fatfenders
Level 8

Jump to solution

mcafee error.jpg

0 Kudos
fatfenders
Level 8

Jump to solution

mcafee 2.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I suggest you install IE8 and try again.   IE6 isn't supported any more and unfortunately ATT need to update their requirements pages.

It's a free download from Microsoft.com and more secure.

I know Microsoft are trying to phase out IE6 so it's best to go as high as your operating system will allow, and that would be IE8.

See https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2653

McAfee uses IE regardless of your default browser. 

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/08/12 4:31:46 EDT PM
0 Kudos
fatfenders
Level 8

Jump to solution

Peter,

Thanks for that. That was the problem. All is now well.

That said, (and speaking from 30+ years as a mainframe developer, now retired), there is absolutely no excuse for a company like ATT to not update the error message. It explicitly states that IE6 or greater is required. Which is simply not true. I am an exclusive (or very nearly) Firebox user so it did not seem important to me to install IE8.

I can also say this... before I posted here I did ATT Chat. Got some hayseed who asked me all the "computer 101" questions, then advised I completely rebuild my system after I told him that is what I had just done. Must be a lot of amateurs runn'n around the halls of ATT IT.

I would think just a whole lotta folks have this same problem and therefore would think this would be well documented (and known) in level 1 circles.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

I agree and we brought this up earlier today on the conference call we Mods have with McAfee staff.   They are getting in touch with ATT just as soon as they can find out who liaises with them.    Corporate red tape, I'm sure you understand but it will be seen to I promise you.   I can't guarantee when and if ATT will act of course.

0 Kudos
fatfenders
Level 8

Jump to solution

Peter,

Again, thanks for all your efforts. It's guys like you that make life us casual user's a lot easier. Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Jump to solution

You're welcome.  All the best. ;-)

0 Kudos