cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ishanfie
Level 7

Cannot Start McAfee Total Protection on Win 10

I am running Win 10 (the first distributed version), and installed McAfee Total Protection yesterday.  After a normal install, the application would not start.  I uninstalled and re-installed the app.  Same result.  Help me please.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: Cannot Start McAfee Total Protection on Win 10

Moved from Web Advisor > Consumer > General Discussion > Discussions as a better area

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​,

You stated that you had the ( First Distributed Version) of Windows 10 installed? Could you elaborate please? In order for your McAfee Software to install and function properly, you need to have the most current Updates installed. If I am not mistaken, the last one was the (Anniversary Update)?

Perhaps my Colleague will clarify more so, as he runs Windows 10 himself.

All the Best,

Cliff

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Yes, officially no Insider Editions are compatible and Windows must be current with the public release updates.

0 Kudos
ishanfie
Level 7

I am running the "official" WIN 10 release (not the Anniversary Update), and have applied all applicable updates.  McAfee Total Protection was installed, apparently successfully, and did not start.  I ran the removal tool, and re-installed it.  Same result!!  Please advise on next step.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes the problem(s).

http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help use the "Contact" on that same page to speak live with Technical Support, it's free of charge.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

BTW you need to install the Anniversary Update to remain current and all updates after that too.  The software supports an up-to-date system.

See post #3

0 Kudos

Hi Isaac,

Please start Windows in Safe mode and check if you are able to open up McAfee. You will find instructions to start Win 10 in Safe mode from the below link

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12376/windows-10-start-your-pc-in-safe-mode

0 Kudos
ishanfie
Level 7

Thank you, Chinthanai

I was able to start Total Protection in Safe Mode.

But it still does not start when in normal mode.

0 Kudos

This is a strong indicator there is a conflicting software that blocks McAfee from opening. Please open a ticket with Tech Support whom will help you identify the conflicting application. Also note that Potentially Unwanted Programs might cause such issues too.

0 Kudos