cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bern12345
Level 7

Can't remove trial version on new Dell - wasting Christmas Day!

Hi

My daughter has a new dell laptop, windows 7 with a pre-installed version of mcafee security centre.  I want to remove it but I can't - I have free Mcafee through my internet provider. I have tried to remove it via file manager, amend or uninstall program's.  When I click on mcafee the remove option is greyed out so it cant remove.  I have spent hours reading forum posts and still can't find a solution.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

Thanks

Bern

Message was edited by: bern12345 on 25/12/12 06:06:42 CST

Message was edited by: bern12345 on 25/12/12 06:10:40 CST
0 Kudos
3 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Can't remove trial version on new Dell - wasting Christmas Day!

File Manager?   If it wont uninstall the normal way - Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a program (Add or Remove Programs in XP) then run the MCPR cleanup tool, twice if necessary and reboot after it finishes.

It's linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
bern12345
Level 7

ExBrit - Thanks for the quick response - much appreciated.

It won't let me uninstall this way => control panel > programs > uninstall - The remove button is greyed out.

MCPR clean up tool has been running for over an hour and is just hanging and now I cant close it down...

Any ideas????

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Something is amiss, probably due to corruption, as it should literally all be over in about 1 minute.   I can't recall if it still works in Safe Mode but maybe worth trying that way.   So if it isn't showing signs of ending, save a new download of MCPR (don't use old ones) to the desktop, end processes using Task Manager if necessary and reboot into Safe Mode and try it.

Otherwise Technical Support is free of charge and available by phone or online chat via Useful Links at the top of the page,

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 25/12/12 7:43:37 EST AM
0 Kudos