cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Bearhug67
Level 8

Can't install McAfee internet security

After activating the McAfeee security suite product key I executed the small install file and got a message that one safetry patch from my OS is missing: KB3033929. (It's a game rig with W7 64 which is completely patched with all OS patches and drivers to present day.)

I downloaded the KB from the MS site and got the message as I executed the patch that the patch in question is already installed. Now I face a Mexican stand off between McAfee and my OS and see now way how this can be fixed.

I post this case more out of curiosity if anybody else faced this as well and if you have an idea how this could be maybe fixed even I seriously doubt it at this stand off situation with those complete opposing claims.

I guess I have to write the money off and see it as a 'donation' to McAfee. :/

7 Replies

Re: Can't install McAfee internet security

Hi
We noticed this with Support and are investigating it. Please reach out to Support through https://service.mcafee.com whom will assist with the install with help of advanced tools.

Bearhug67
Level 8

Thank you for the very fast reply.

I spent last nigth at least two hours with tech support chat and we re-recreated, by the book, what I described and hit as expected the wall at that stand off problem.

I am now scheduled for a Tier 2 tech call Friday early morning to tackle the issue.

I am very moderate optimistic at the moment because I see no way out of this problem as long the install file insist for that patch and I can't expect ANY help from MS support for the older OS.

another problem I see is also that even we will find a solution. It is a three unit license and I still have to install it on two laptops which run W10. So whatever the solution might be, I also need to install it two more times and one of the laptops is not in the same house.

Again, thanks for the fast response and let's hope for the best. Smiley Happy

Countdown2
Level 8

Same problem. Windows 7 ultimate x64 cannot install Mcafee total protection because it claims kb3033929 is not installed. A "rollup" update from MS included an update which takes the place of the outdated and reportedly buggy 3033929. The "missing" update cannot be manually applied because the checker says it's already installed.

Is there any solution for this? Or are we just stuck, and Mcafee can't service Windows 7 anymore??

Countdown2
Level 8

I mean in theory we could possibly restore the system to a time prior to the rollup update, apply 3033929 manually, and then proceed with windows update? It would be better if there were a way to force a skipcheck on the Mcafee installation executable. Though really, I think Mcafee needs to update their software to reflect microsoft's replacement of 3033929...

Bearhug67
Level 8

UPDATE:

After waiting for about 3 hours for the support call from the tier2 tech and talking him into remote access as I had trouble to understand his accent he made it clear that McAfee requires first to install ALL available updates for W7 64, including the optional 66 ones.

So I decided to take my only way out of this legally as I refuse to let anyone force me with their 'cover-their-ass' legal rules to install updates which I don't want on my rig. But I also refuse to waste even more time on this unacceptable mess as my faith in their software got shattered and I have a few PC's to protect now.

SUMMARY: It is possible that the optional patches could resolve the issue, maybe not. But I already wasted many precious hours to keep entrusting my machines to something which might work or not eventually. The money loss would be the smallest trouble to swallow. But my time is priceless.
Farewell McAfee.

Still, my sincere thanks to moderator Selvan and user Countdown2 for their support with this ordeal. Good luck to you both and be well.

Countdown2
Level 8

If anyone is wondering, my workaround for this issue did solve the problem for me. 

Use system restore to take the system back to a time before the update, then manually apply kb3033929, and then re-update with windows updater. If this is not an option, the only way is to reinstall win7, and then apply 3033929 before fully updating the OS.

Note to Mcafee: FIX YOUR SOFTWARE!! Windows 7 users should not have to imploy this workaround for an issue that is clearly a problem in Mcafee's code.

My heartfelt condolences to BearHug67 and indeed anyone encountering this issue with Mcafee. Shame on Mcafee's tech support making users feel they've done something wrong; this issue is 100% Mcafee's coding error! As previously mentioned, kb3033929 is outdated and buggy. Microsoft has REPLACED 3033929 with included updates in a more recent security rollup. Mcafee needs to CHANGE the check run by their pre-installation software to reflect this.

TimH
Level 7

I had a problem over the weekend when I had to uninstall and reinstall with the KB3033929 update error. Given the setup of my computer (multi boot) the patch is not recommend to be installed due to a known error with the patch. Plus the patch is not listed in my list of updates for windows 7. I also confirmed this with Microsoft at the request of McAfee tech support. After 5 to 6 hours talking to 4 people and three levels of support I kept getting the same answer to fixing the problem - install the update. What do you not understand of not being available to install and not recommended? I mentioned this feed and was told these problems have been fixed by the people installing the update. Talk about a BS answer. It seemed all they were doing was following a script and not having the patch to install was not on it. Worthless support in this case. Answers to several questions was like a politician giving a answer that was not a answer and in some case had nothing to due with the question asked. It would be nice if they had US based support again. McAfee had way better support when it was shareware. In the last 4 years anytime I had to contact support it has gotten worse each time.

If anyone has a way around this, other than using another software package which may be a really good idea, let me know. Thank You

0 Kudos