cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gtmorelli
Level 7

Can't Install McAfee VirusScan Plus

When downloading and running software that I recently uninstalled to clean my PC from some malware, I received the following message "we couldn't install any of the security features included with your software".  I was then presented two options - try installing again or run McAfee Virtual Technician.  I ran the Virtual Technician which gave me the following message "Did not find any product to can scan.  Do you need to install?"  I clicked Yes and a Pre-Install Check ran with the following errors identified: DNS Cache, temporary Internet files, McAfee cookies, and temporary folders.  I clicked on Fix All and the Virtual Technician Cleared them all.  I then went back to install the VirusScan Plus software and I got the same errors and messages all over again.  I seem to be in a loop.  Can someone help me?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
13 Replies
MRoutt
Level 9

Re: Can't Install McAfee VirusScan Plus

gtmorelli,

Try the following from a command prompt:

1. ipconfig /flushdns (clears out your dns cache, before hand and afterwards you may wish to run ipconfig /displaydns)
  2. cd "documents and settings\%username%\local settings\temp" (where username is the name you use to log in to the computer)  -> del *.*, and rd /s *. (this should clear out anything in your temp folder)
  3. cd "documents and settings\%username%\cookies" (again, where username is the name you use  to log in to the computer) -> del *.txt (deletes any cookies you may have)
  4. run cleanmgr.exe (this will bring up the disk cleanup wizard, you will want to have it clear out your temp internet files)

If you are on Windows Vista or Windows 7 replace "documents and settings" with "users", and make sure to right click on command prompt and select "run as administrator" for best results.  A lot of this should have been done by virtual technician, what I am  trying to see is if we have better luck trying it manually.

HTH

0 Kudos
gtmorelli
Level 7

Thanks HTH:

I was able to execute your first and last suggestions (numbers 1 and 4), but not 2 and 3.   When I type those commnads in the Run command they are not recognized.  I was typing it exactly as shown in your post, including cd and the ".  Not sure what I am doing wrong.

gt

0 Kudos
MRoutt
Level 9

When typing the commands drop the quotation marks that I put around them.

0 Kudos
gtmorelli
Level 7

It says it can't find cd.  When I skip cd it says it can't find documents

0 Kudos
MRoutt
Level 9

numbers 2 and 3 were meant to be run from the command prompt.  Do start -> run -> cmd before attempting them.

0 Kudos
gtmorelli
Level 7

OK thats helpful.  I'm new at this and don't want to screw anything up, so I have some basic questions before I proceed.  I typed in cmd in the Run command and get to the black windows screen which contains the following prompt:

C: \Documents and Settings\"my user name">

so do I type in what you put in quotes after the > or just the part in quotes after %username%

thanks for your patience...

0 Kudos
MRoutt
Level 9

actually no need to put in documents and settings\%username%, its already there...so for #2: cd local settings\temp (del *.*, rd *., rd *. may not work in all cases, if it doesnt for you do a dir /a /o to see what directories are there then do rd /s /q followed by the names of the directories in one long string (e.g. dir1 dir2 ...))...for #3: cd .. followed by cd ..\cookies (del *.txt)

Message was edited by: MRoutt on 2/12/10 9:46:40 PM CST
0 Kudos
gtmorelli
Level 7

I was able to complete the tasks you outlined.  However each of the directories found in step 2 returned messages of: Data Error OR Cant' Access File OR Not Empty OR Being Used OR Access Denied OR Cannot Find when I executed the commands.  I don't think action was taken on any of them.  And I think that was the good news.  Now, not only can't I install the McAffee VirusScan Plus (same issue as outline in my initial post)  all My Documents Favorites are gone.  What now????

0 Kudos
The_Narc
Level 9

Hello!

I don't know if you are still having problems but you can try what I did.

1.- Uninstall McAfee 2009 and restart.

3.- Restart the PC and enter in safe mode (Hit F8 and select Safe Mode)

4.- Run McAfee PreInstall Tool.

5.- Run McAfee Product Removal and restart.

6.- Try to download your product with the latest version of McAfee Download Manager.

HTH

Cheers,

The Narc

P.S. I was having a nightmare just after I uninstalled McAfee 2009 because it was telling me always "Error, can not download McAfee" or the one you get and decided to do it in safe mode. Tell me if you need the exe files.

0 Kudos