cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Can I run Check for updates... through a desktop shortcut?

Jump to solution

Dear Community,

I have McAfee Security Center v.11 on Windows 7 and I was just wondering if it was possible to make a shortcut to Check for updates... (like the link from right-clicking the icon on the icon bar near the clock).  I would use Automatic Updates; however, I have to move my laptop from place-to-place and some of the internet connections I use aren't completely safe for transferring data (public) and so I set the settings to manual update (I have also done this with Windows Update and my other programs).

For my other programs (Ccleaner, Filehippo Update Checker, Windows Update, unrelated others) I have shortcuts conveniently in a folder so that I can remember to regularly check to see if my programs are secure and up-to-date; unfortunately, I haven't found out how to make a shortcut to McAfee Check for updates... .  It wouldn't be a problem except I constantly forget to check for updates because the shortcut isn't my folder; sometimes I don't check for updates for a week or more!  I know there is a icon bar icon but I still constantly miss it and forget to check for updates.

I'm just wondering if there was a way to make Check for updates... into a desktop shortcut (Run a full scan and Run a quick scan would be really great too, although I usually keep them automatically scheduled).  I know how to copy a link into a blank shortcut but I could even be happy with a small program that does it, as long as I can put it into my shortcut folder.

My regards,

Tim.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Can I run Check for updates... through a desktop shortcut?

Jump to solution

No you can't make shortcuts specifically to that function or any other internal one but you could simply keep a shortcut to SecurityCenter in the folder.   Or simply right-click the taskbar icon and select 'Check for Updates' each time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/10/11 4:51:11 EDT PM

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

No you can't make shortcuts specifically to that function or any other internal one but you could simply keep a shortcut to SecurityCenter in the folder.   Or simply right-click the taskbar icon and select 'Check for Updates' each time.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/10/11 4:51:11 EDT PM

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Thanks for the response!  (sorry for the late reply!)  It isn't quite what I want but I can live with it.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

OK,  Sorry and good luck.   You could suggest it as a feature for an upcoming release here:  https://community.mcafee.com/community/home/ideas

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community