cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browser freezing

I recently purchased a new laptop, running in Windows 8, which came with a free trial of McAfee LiveSafe.

When I first start up the computer it works fine.

After a few minutes browsing the Web, the browser slows down, and after a while all I get is Connection Failed notifications.

I normally use Firefox as my default browser, but have also tried using Internet Explorer - where the same problem occurs.

We have two other computers in the house (not installed with McAfee software) which function perfectly well, so it is clearly not an issue with our internet connection.

I have checked and the Windows firewall is switched off, so no conflict issues.

I gather from firends that this is a common side effect after installing McAfee anti-virus products.

Can you advise how I can overcome this problem, or should I simply uninstall McAffee and find alternative protection?

1 Reply
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Browser freezing

Your friends are misinformed.   It isn't a common issue at all.  The software normally allows all system features to function normally.

More likely there is bloatware from the device manufacturer that is slowing things down.

Run the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also run some anti-malware tools from the last link below, AdwareCleaner and MalwareBytes Free might help.

Note the instructions there on keeping the latter free of charge.

If that doesn't help, Technical Support is available free of charge by phone or online chat through the link below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools