cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilB
Level 7

Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Does anyone else find their Security Centre isn't working following today's update (July 28) from McAfee?

Today's update from McAfee seems to have disabled the McAfee Security Center on my laptop. Right clicking the M-shield in the system tray doesn't offer me any links. If I launch McAfee Antivirus Plus from the start menu all I see is a white square where the splash screen should be. Nothing else happens although other PC programs will run normally. I can only close Antivirus Plus by using right click [Close] in the windows bar or by using task manager.

Everything else on the machine seems to be running fine but I've no idea  whether the anti-virus is working.

Machine is Dell Inspiron 510m running Windows XP Home OS with usual common software.

Neil.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: Antivirus plus inoperative after today's update

Hi Neil,

Please let us know the following information,
What is the version of Internet explorer (Open Internet explorer – Click Help – Click About)
Also run Mcafee virtual technician from here
http://mvt.mcafee.com  and post me your session id along your next post.

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
NeilB
Level 7

Hi there,

I've run the Virtual Technician - nothing abnormal reported (see below).

Using IE version 8.0.6001.18702 (although I prefer Chrome ;-)

regards,

Neil.

Latest Virtual Technician ID:26804670
Session log follows:
MVT Information
MVT Version : 5.5.2.0
System Information
Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (Build 2600)
Service Pack : Service Pack 3.0
Language : 0809
Internet Explorer Version : 8.0
Internet Explorer Language : en-us
System Drive Type : NTFS
Physical Memory Available : 599696
Physical Memory Total : 1308888
Virtual Memory Available : 2055200
Virtual Memory Total : 2097024
System Architecture : x86 Family 6 Model 13 Stepping 8 Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1.50GHz
Date Time : 07/28/2010 16:53:27
Time Zone : GMT -00:00
Product Details
Product Name : SiteAdvisor
Product Version : 2.9.242
Language : en-gb
Partner : Dell
Health Check Details
Registry OK
File OK
Process OK
Service OK
COM OK
Top Issues OK
SYSTEM OK

0 Kudos
Dinz
Level 16

Hi,

Please get to control panel and let me know if you find McAfee security center there and let me know the size for it .

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
NeilB
Level 7

Control Panel > Security says

"Virus Protection          NOT FOUND"

regards,

Neil.

0 Kudos
NeilB
Level 7

Sorry, forgot the size. McAfee Virus Protection size listed as 15.47MB

regards,

Neil.

0 Kudos
compounding
Level 7

I've been having the same problem since the updater prompted me to restart my computer(7/25).  I even tried to uninstall so that I could reinstall a fresh copy, but when I tried to the same blank white box appeared.

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium

And when I tried to run Virtual Technician over the weekend I believe it said it couldn't detect Mcafee.  I tried running it again today and was told it couldn't scan my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

(Security Center size is listed as 215MB,  I use Firefox)

0 Kudos
NeilB
Level 7

Hmm, the problem is worse than I thought. The antivirus is definitely disabled. Right clicking on a file or a folder then clicking [scan...] does absolutely nothing. I can't find a way of uninstalling McAfee to do a re-installation either. When I click on [change/remove] in Control Panel > Add Remove Software > McAfee Antivirus Plus I get a white blank splash screen! Another dead end.

I wish there was some way of going back to the configuration I had 2 days ago.

Any ideas anyone?

(correction to previous post: McAfee size is 232MB. Windows was lying).

regards,

Neil.

0 Kudos
PDE
Level 7

Simulair problems here.

Vista Home premium. After update 7/28 I'm getting message that Virusscan is not working due to missing files. Repair gives error that Security center should be reinstalled.

Virtual assitent reports 193 errors about missing COM links, Services that should but aren't running ea... It cannot repair this.

Tried to download a fresh version, witch downloads, installs, but after the requested system restart to complete the installation, the old version starts up with same problems. Update report indicates that all components are updated, except the virusscan component.

Have not tried to completly remove and reinstall.

Patrick

Message was edited by: PDE on 7/29/10 2:06:17 AM CDT
0 Kudos
NeilB
Level 7

My problem is resolved:

I used McAfee's online support chat facility today to get some real time help from an advisor. She was great; very polite and very clear language; and made no assumptions. What's more important we resolved the issue. 20 minutes later my problem was gone. I highly recommend the online chat facility.

She identified that the daily update had failed to complete correctly and that I should uninstall and reinstall the software suite using their software removal tool. She told me everything I needed to know and advised me to save the chat log for future reference and emailed me a copy of the instructions just to be sure. Simple, straightforward and stress free.

A good result.

regards,

Neil.

0 Kudos