cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying pop-up

I recently renewed my McAfee subscription.  Now every time I use the internet, a large annoying pop-up window informs me that "Your McAfee security software has just been upgraded."  It gives me the option to watch a video about the new software or to dismiss it.  I want to stop the pop-up from showing itself everytime I get on the computer!  Any advice?? Thanks.

80 Replies
Dinz
Level 16
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 81

Re: Annoying pop-up

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response, Those are really for any information on disconuts & offers/ features regarding your McAfee programs.  Could you please confirm whether  you still receive the pop up from McAfee

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

I am getting the same pop-up. It is terribly annoying. Is there any way to get rid of it? Someone in Southern India working for Mcafee support told me to uninstall and reinstall Mcafee, but that did not help. The stupid pop-up just popped up again.

mcafee popup.jpg

I have been having the same problem as drl92350  and am getting annoyed to the point that I'll not be using Mcfee when my current subscription expires.  The pop-ups started just after renewing my subscription.  Please fix it.  It seems to me that Mcfee should be able to fix the problem even if the pop-up does not come from their software.

Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 81

McAfee are aware that their own popups can be irritatiing and are working on reducing their incidence and impact.   As far as other popups are concerned I'm not too sure what you mean by "even if the pop-up does not come from their software', please explain.

Although I believe they are coming from The McAfee software; McAfee should be able to disable these popups regardless of where they are coming from.  BTW saying that I am annoyed is an understatement.  I know you are doing what you can to get it fixed

Message was edited by: Bluefox2 on 1/6/11 6:46:48 AM CST
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 81

McAfee had to remove popup blocking capabilities since most browsers and toolbars have their own and clashes between 2 or more caused browsing problems, so they got out of that business altogether some time ago.

They never could have blocked software-generated popups anyway, unless they used malicious code of course, as that would have caused software malfunctions.

I see that in recent years almost all software manufacturers have adopted that method of advertising or using popups to provide information so the discussion should really be on a grander scale - is the industry itself acting irresponsibly?

I agree with you, it's happening far too often.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/01/11 8:01:38 EST AM
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 81

I should add that the marketing people responsible for most of the McAfee-originated non security related pop-ups have been asked to tone it down.   Whether or not that request will be honoured is another matter, I agree it should.

Unfortunately popups from other software are pretty commonplace these days, Adobe for instance - that comes to mind as I just had one happen here - yesterday I think.

McAfee can't do anything about that for legal reasons.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/01/11 9:25:42 EST AM

Thanks for the information and help.  It wouldn't bother me to get an occasional email from your marketing people.  However, tell them (I know you have before) the popups must go. I guess this ends our conversation.  I'll be standing by to see what happens.

Reliable Contributor
Message 10 of 81

Unfortunately I can't tell them anything as I'm only a volunteer user of their software like anyone else but I have passed this on several times.

Let's just hope they listen.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community