cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Additional Anti-Virus Program — Compatibility with McAfee

I have just deleted the free Malwarebytes anti-virus program as it now automatically updates with a two-week trial of the full program which includes in-time scanning, etc, which I feel will almost certainly clash with my McAfee LiveSafe program. In the past, Malwarebytes offered a free program that I used purely for additional, on-demand scanning, and which occasionally detected something that McAfee didn't.

Are there any free programs that can be used purely as a secondary scanning facility and which do not have in-time scanning facility that would interfere with my LiveSafe program?

1 Reply
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Additional Anti-Virus Program — Compatibility with McAfee

Officially Malwarebytes Pro works OK with other AV software.  I have it and there are no consequences except some things may take a miniscule amount of extra time to open, web pages for instance.

I would ask the question  on the Malwarebytes Forum too, at least for a second opinion.

If a McAfee person sees this their immediate answer would be no, disable MBAM and only use it when you need an extra scan.

However I've noticed in Windows 10 how, since the last major update (for me 1703), even Windows Defender partially reactivates in the presence of another AV, but is not fully active.

There was a pop-up from it a while back explaining how it was OK for that to happen.  I can't remember exactly what it said.

The last time I reinstalled McAfee LiveSafe it never disabled MBAM so I assume all is OK.

Peter

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community