Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

AOL SLOW TO OPEN SINCE McAFEE LOADED

Hi

I'm a first poster on this site, so forgive me if I have placed my question in the incorrect category. Last Friday I decided to purchase anti virus software as I did not have any active software on my PC. I've run AOL since 2006 and never took advantage of the McAfee offer, so decided to give that a go. Having purchased it online, I could not get it to load automatically - my system kept freezing (no error messages). In the end I contacted a McAfee technician, who after 3 hours discovered that the unused version of McAfee offered with my 2006 AOL package (but never taken out) was blocking the installation of the 2010 software. The technician removed the old software and eventually loaded the new McAfee anti virus software.

Since it has been loaded, my AOL takes an age to open, let alone load - 5 minutes to open and about the same to load, when I had no problems before. I'm running out of patience with it. I just sit there watching the screen - I've even taken to reading a book while I wait for it to load!

I'm running Windows XP and I've checked my sytem requirements (as much as I can as I'm no techie) and I seem to have more than enough to run both these programmes. Does anyone have any idea what may be slowing my AOL down?

Thanks in anticipation!

7 Replies
Highlighted
Level 16
Message 2 of 8

Re: AOL SLOW TO OPEN SINCE McAFEE LOADED

Hi Helena,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused, please provide us the following information so that we could help you better;

How is the computer currently connected to the internet ? (dsl/wireless/cable)
Open security center and let me know whether it states Am I protected YES or Your computer is secure ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Hi there

I connect via a DSL modem. I've accessed the Security Centre and it states that "YES" I am protected.

Regards

Helena

Highlighted
Level 16
Message 4 of 8

Hi Helena,

Please open your security center and follow the below prompts
1. Open McAfee Security Center.
2. Click Internet and Network.
3. Select Configure.
4. Click Firewall Protection is enabled , Advanced.
5. From the left pane click restore firewall defaults and close all the windows
Try accessing you aol pages and update me if you come across any difficulties.

Thanks,
Dinesh K

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

Hi Dinesh

I have completed all of the above with no problem. However, it does not seem to have alleviated the problem. Is there anything else you can suggest?

Many Thanks

Helena

Highlighted
Level 16
Message 6 of 8

Hi Helena,

Please add all the AOL applications to the firewall permission list and check the connectivity in AOL. Please find the instructions here in this document.

Regards,
Dinesh K

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

Hi Dinesh

Unfortunately, I cannot open the link. It requires a password and user name - I cannot login and there is no-where for me to register. My McAfee.com login details don't work and neither do my community.McAfee details. I have even accessed the InQuira Centre, but still cannot register. Any ideas?

Thanks

Helena

Highlighted
Level 16
Message 8 of 8

Helena,
I have  provided the same document  in a different form over
here, please refer to this. Sorry for the inconvenience caused with the previous link. Do let me know if you need any help.

Thanks,
Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community