cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yonsei1114e
Level 7

[2017] Anti-virus won't respond suddenly, now unable to install

Hello All,

This started last weekend when Mcafee notifications popped out saying that my Anti-Virus Real Time Scanning has been turned off. Whenever I click it to On, it would go back into Off.

I then decided to un-install the whole product and tried to install it again. I have done the following:

• Uninstall Mcafee Software
  • Used CC Cleaner to clean up
  • Used the Mcafee Remover Tool

I have done these three items, and I was able to re-install the software. (Funny though because the installer did not prompt for any product key which was along with the download I got from the official website.) However, the Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware was left uninstalled by the kit. I tried downloading the feature from my Mcafee Internet Security Application, but keep on getting an "unsuccessfully installed" message. I then downloaded the Virtual Technician to identify the problem. Listed below are the findings of the Virtual Technician:

MVT Information 
  MVT Version  :8.1.0.234
  System Information 
  Operating System  :Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Edition(Build 7601)
  Service Pack  :Service Pack 1.0
  Language  :0409
  Internet Explorer Version  :11.0
  Internet Explorer Language  :en-us
  System Drive Type  :NTFS
  Physical Memory Available  :1294592
  Physical Memory Total  :3931376
  Virtual Memory Available  :4756876
  Virtual Memory Total  :7860892
  System Architecture  :Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz
  Date Time  :03/22/2017 02:32:51
  Time Zone  :  GMT +08:00

Product Name:Personal Firewall - McAfee Internet Security
Product Version:16.0.3028
Language:en-us
Partner:550
  Health Check Details 
  Registry    OK 
  Expected Registry Key Present 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\MPF\AppInfo\Substitute
  Expected Registry Key Present 
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\mfemms\Services\mfefire
  File  1 file(s) incorrect 
  Expected File not Present 
C:\Program Files\mcafee\mpf\mpf.dat

I saw on one post here about Resetting Defaults of Internet Explorer. I tried to follow through by resetting the default and install the feature again, to no luck, I still get an "Unsucessfully installed."

Hoping that someone could help me with this problem as I am currently have no anti-virus for 3 days now..

Thank you to those who will respond!

- Julienne

0 Kudos
15 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: [2017] Anti-virus won't respond suddenly, now unable to install

Uninstall all McAfee via Control Panel > Programs and Features.

Reboot if asked to.

Run the latest MCPR cleanup tool from here:  MCPR

Reboot

Do the same for any other older A/V's you may have had using their respective cleanup tools.

Do NOT use CCleaner unless you are an expert as it invariably removes more than it should.

Reinstall from your online account

See if that helps.

0 Kudos
yonsei1114e
Level 7

Hello Sir Peter,

I did the following Steps:

1. I have uninstalled Malwarebyes into my system using their own uninstall tool.
  2. I uninstalled Mcafee Product as well. Along the way this error occurred.
    1. Untitled4.png
  3. Then reboot.
  4. I used MCPR tool and was successfully complete.
  5. Reboot
  6. I used Mcafee Pre-Install Tool (that I saw under ​'s suggested link) and this error is being shown.
    1. Untitled.png2.png
  7. I researched a few and prompted a sfc /scannow. But this happened.
    1. Untitled3.png

The way I see it, I am going downward in fixing something that's inside my computer's software and is out of Mcafee's scope (but connected) and I'm afraid to do anything else without proper guidance because I might do something that could further worsen the problem. Hoping for further guidance in this, I just really wanted to run Mcafee like how it used to when the whole problem started.

Thanks!

Julienne

0 Kudos
yonsei1114e
Level 7

Will be doing a sfc /scannow @safemode and will let you know of it's progress.

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

Can you chime in here please and see if you can answer this issue.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

When you run the Command Prompt (CMD) Right click on it and run as a  *Administrator*.

As Colleague Ex_Brit mentioned, please refrain from using Ccleaner or any Registry cleaners. As they will cause more irreversible damage than good.

I generally utilize Windows basic *Disk Clean/or McAfee Quick Clean. Even then I elect to make sure the *Registry Items* are not selected.

From your screenshot it looks as though you have to install the latest *Re-distributable*.

Hopefully Selvan will pick up this thread and add his expertise to the discussion.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
Level 21

The pre-install tool isn't necessary now as it's included in the installer but no harm trying it I guess.

Please ensure that Windows is totally up to date before doing everything.

If Selvan is on days off it might be best if you open a case with Technical Support, if you do post the reference number they give you here.

It's free by phone or online chat:  Technical Support

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

BTW rather than run System Restore or the System File Check (SFC), I would try running a chkdsk /r (or chkdsk C: /r) in an Elevated (Admin) Command Prompt.

Disk read errors can be a cause for software failure, especially antivirus suites.

What operating system are you using?

0 Kudos
yonsei1114e
Level 7

​, Uh-oh.... awhile back I used CCCleaner and cleaned a lot of items... /whacks myself in the head/ Am I going to resort to reformatting?

​, will be trying out the chkdsk you mentioned via safe mode.. I'm currently moving all of my existing files into an external storage in case something happens..  Here is the basic information of my OS/computer.

3.png

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

This may help and good luck ;-) 

Disk Check - Windows 7 Help Forums

0 Kudos