cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
carbon
Level 7

100% cpu usage while scanning, PC Freezes and needs direct power cut

Hi,

When I scan my pc with McAfee Antivirus plus 2012, the cpu usage touches 100% which I hate to see. When I had xp 64 bit and Net Protector, it hardly touched  beyond 35 % cpu usage. With McAfee running my pc freezed several times today and apart from that I was never able to recover and had to shut down by switching off the inverter. (happened once when typing this post)

Earlier , before installing windows 7 64 bit, I had xp 64 bit with Net protector antivirus installed. The net protector antivirus expired and I was suppose  to buy a new subscription, but I decided to go with McAfee. I used my pc with expired antivirus for about a week and my pc got a virus called Live Security Platinum Virus. Well, I had to reinstall xp after that. I got my Harddisk scanned at a local cyber cafe with net protector. After getting it scanned I decided to upgrade to windows 7 64 bit since McAfee is incompatible with xp 64 bit. I installed Windows 7 64 bit as well as McAfee , hoping everything will work out fine which never worked that way.

Today I was able to get my McAfee activated. I performed my first pc scan and to my suprise McAfee found around 20 virus in my pc!! A friend of mine had sugested me to buy McAfee since Net protector could not remove all virus and that is why I bought McAfee.

My pc configuration

Gigabyte 880GMUD2H mother board

1 Tb hard disk

AMD phenom 2 X4  processor (3.0 Gz)

4 GB ram

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

The problem while scanning

1] CPU clocks 100% while starting and at near end of scanning like 80% and above.

2] pc starts hanging , mouse starts lagging

3] Task manager cannot start

4] after a while everything is freezed and nothing happens.

5] Power button on keyboard does not work after pressing, sleep button does not work.

5] I have to shut down pc using direct power cut and restart it.

I have created 5 disk partitions c,d,e,f,g with each having  200 GB space. My 5th partition  G is not formatted since it takes around 2 hrs or more I guess to format 200gb and I just don`t need to use it now. In my first scan the scanning went all well for c, d,e partitions until f was being scanned. When scanning the f partetion the problem of freezing arises as the scanning reaches aorund 80%. I have seen ram usage shoot to 3.5 gb! which is full usage of allowable ram use.

One thing I have noticed between XP 64 bit and windows 7 64 bit is that the cpu usage is way higher in windows 7. Even if I move my cursor without having any program running the cpu usage touches 10% from 1 % !!! Now thats 9% cpu usage for just moving cursor ! In XP 64 bit the cpu usage never touched beyond 35 % while running vlc media player which is quite demanding.

My pc has never been fully scanned since f drive scanning had freezed at 99% once and I had to shut down pc. My McAfee has current updates. I am wondering how to solve this problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: 100% cpu usage while scanning, PC Freezes and needs direct power cut

I would at least go into Disk Management and format the G: drive to default NTFS partitioning.  The F: drive - does it have a lot of compressed files on it or is the drive itself compressed?   This can cause severe delays as the software tries to unpack the files in order to scan them.

If there is nothing on there that could be infected I suggest not doing a scheduled scan but always doing a manual one where you can omit that drive, also make sure the 'Scan using minimal resources' is checked.  That way it will take a bit longer but should use fewer resources.

Actually Technical Support would be better equipped to help you here because they can troubleshoot directly if needed.   It's free by phone or online chat and is linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

0 Kudos
carbon
Level 7

I was able to get it working after re-installing McAfee. I had to delete a 1.5gb rar file in F drive  which I guess must have been freezing my pc since McAfee needs to unpack these files inorder to scan.

Another issue I faced was I was not able to Scan at all using McAfee. I discovered a post stating the use of Stinger by Mcfee which after trying out gave 0 threats in its results. I had to reinstall McAfee. Now its ok.

Untitled.jpg

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

It's now OK or not?   If you still get errors as I said before, Technical Support is your best bet.

0 Kudos
carbon
Level 7

It was working fine until today afternoon, when I tried to open Autocad it was not opening. I do not know why. So I uninstalled McAfee through control panel and later I again installed Autocad. After installing autocad I tried installing Mcafee, but I got this message.

Mcfe problem ....jpg

I am with Technical Team support right now and seems like it will be fine soon.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Oh good, let's hope they fix it for you.  ;-)

0 Kudos