cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

%100 CPU and Memory use due to McAfee

Jump to solution

So usually my Laptop is very fast, but in the past few months, it has been very slow, and whenever I go to the task manager to see what is causing it, there are TONS of McAfee processes, each taking up about one percent each, but they usually take up about %100 of the CPU and Memory use and they always go %100 and then drop own to about %50, then go up again, down again, up again, etc., etc., making my Laptop super laggy. I would reboot and it would fix he issue for a few days, but then it would just come back, and I am getting tired of it. Thanks.

Please note that I have had McAfee for many years and this has ever happened to me before.

CPU:

Intel Core i7 @ 2.50GHz

Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM:

8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: %100 CPU and Memory use due to McAfee

Jump to solution

I checked for updates to everything, and it turns out that my McAfee was quite out of date. Sorry.

5 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

I moved this to the General Discussion area.

Check that your operating system is totally up to date, including any parts you may not use (IE for instance if you use another browser).

Check for any competing software and list them here in your reply.

Check Control Panel > Programs and Features to see if you've accidentally installed a sales promotional add-on called McAfee Security Scan Plus, it comes as an option with many other software downloads and could cause this.

Uninstall it if so.

Download and run the Virtual Technician here: https://mvt.mcafee.com/ to see if it finds and fixes any problems.

Hayton
Level 18
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

Saying there are "tons of processes" in Task Manager doesn't help much in troubleshooting the problem. If the user posted a screenshot of those processes and stated what version of which McAfee product is running on the laptop, it might give you a better idea.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

could you please indicate more details?   I am assuming you have Antivirus Plus as per your profile.  If that's the case then there will be quite a lot of McAfee items in Device Manager, however they shouldn't be causing 100% CPU usage.

Check for malware using other (free) software.

Run GetSusp and MalwareBytes Free from the last link below.

Note: read instructions carefully in order to install and use them correctly.

Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

Jump to solution

I checked for updates to everything, and it turns out that my McAfee was quite out of date. Sorry.

Jump to solution

So is it up to date now and the issue has not reoccurred or do you still need assistance?