cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sigpt02
Level 7

"Error: Failed to initialize AVEngine"...

Hi,

I installed the new version of McAfee VirusScan Command Line for AIX Version: 6.0.0.309
on my AIX 5.3 TL11 SP2 and I have this error:

root@hostname:tmp#/usr/local/uvscan/uvscan --VERSION
McAfee VirusScan Command Line for AIX Version: 6.0.0.309
Copyright (C) 2009 McAfee, Inc.
(408) 988-3832 LICENSED COPY - December 03 2009
Error: Failed to initialize AVEngine

Everything was fine with the last version: Virus Scan for AIX v5.40.0.

Is there a solution for this issue?

Thanks,
Phil

0 Kudos
11 Replies
jmcleish
Level 13

Re: "Error: Failed to initialize AVEngine"...

I have moved your post to the VirusScan Other section for better attention.

0 Kudos
rackroyd
Level 16

Hi,

The first think to note is that the dat files are different with V6.0 compared to V 5.40.0. Please take a look at:

KB67513 - Downloading the AVV-Dat package for use with VirusScan Command Line 6.0 (VSCL)

If that does not help please take a look at:

KB67565 - ERROR: Failed to initialize AVEngine (when running uvscan (VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.0) on AIX)

The knowledge base is accessible through the McAfee Service Portal.

(https://mysupport.mcafee.com/eservice/Default.aspx)

Kind Regards,

Rob

0 Kudos
Zeno
Level 7

Hi,

I installed vscl 6.0.0 on an HP-UX 11.11 system. At first run, I received the error "Unresolved symbol: wctob ..." which led me to getting vscl 6.0.3. Once that was installed I received the subject error. I've checked the ulimit on this system as was suggested by the answer for an AIX system. ulimit is set to unlimited so the AIX answer doesn't work for me. What else could be causing this?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
rackroyd
Level 16

Check the obvious first:

1. You have valid dat files in the same directory as the binaries.

2. You are using a supported platform. (VSCL 6.0.x on HP-UX is PA-Risc processor only).

3. You have enough memory to hold the dat image when executing a scan. (at a minimum i'd say 256Mb)

Hth,

Rob.

0 Kudos
Zeno
Level 7

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the quick response! Yup, had checked all that. dat files were from May so I got the new ones from June. No change. Did I mention this is the eval copy?

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
rackroyd
Level 16

Hi Bill,

No I did not realise that.

Although functionally the same as the licensed version it does limit our options in pursuing this further on forum i'm afraid.

If you have the ability to open a support case for the licensed version of the product that might be the next option to consider.

We would then be able to get that to our developers for review.

rgds,

Rob.

0 Kudos
Zeno
Level 7

Hi Rob,

I have a license version but it's 6.0.0 that doesn't work with HP. When I tried to get the upgrade to 6.0.3, I was told I couldn't get it. So, I went for the eval copy to at least get something going. I apologize for the confustion!

Thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
rackroyd
Level 16

Hi,

If you have a valid license for v6.0.0, you should have a valid license for v6.0.3 too as far as I know, so that's a little odd. (Unless your license has expired completely). I admit I don't have the full picture there to say why you were refused. I'd suggest you try your McAfee grant ID on the downloads site and see what happens

As far as issues go, 6.0.0 was only a problem on HP-UX 11.00 unpatched, this was fixed in v6.0.3. HP-UX 11.11 should be just fine, even with v6.0.0.

I expect no difference in behaviour between v6.0.0 and v6.0.3 on that version of HP-UX.

Rgds,

Rob.

0 Kudos
Zeno
Level 7

Thanks Rob, I'll try the upgrade again.

Bill

0 Kudos