Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greg.d
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

McAfee EPO Agent and McAfee Installation Designer

Hi all,

I'm using MID in an attempt to create an install package for VSE 8.7 and ePO agent 4.00. I'm having some troubles getting the latter component to install on the finished build.

Everything is set correctly, and as I understand it, the ePO agent has to be set in the 'AutoUpdate Configuration' screen, specifically, the setting labelled 'New Common Management Agent installation file'.

For this, I include the agent installation file (FramePkg_UPD.exe), which on it's own, installs fine.

However, when I save the settings, and attempt to install to a new machine (using SetupVSE.exe), I get the following error message:

The installation cannot continue until the ePO Management Agent is of version 3.6 or higher.

Can't work out why I'm getting this as I have included the agent installer in the package. Is there some command switches that I've missed or a setting in MID that I've overlooked?

Any help would be appreciated.
8 Replies
Reliable Contributor tonyb99
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 9

RE: McAfee EPO Agent and McAfee Installation Designer

FramePkg_UPD.exe is the in place agent upgrade file not the framepkg.exe full install
greg.d
Level 7
Message 3 of 9

This could be the problem then!

Having said that, it is techincally upgrading an older agent on the machines I'm installing it on (as they currently pick up VSE8.00 from machine policy).

Still, will try and find the correct installer for the Agent.
greg.d
Level 7
Message 4 of 9

Update: Thanks Tony, I found the proper Agent installer and it now works.

Update2: Turns out it didnt. Just tried to install it on the next build using the proper Agent installer and got the exact same error message! I'm at a loss to explain why it worked once.

Any ideas?
greg.d
Level 7
Message 5 of 9

To help I thought I'd post the error log from FrameworkPackage.txt

2009-05-13 16:42:25 I #1124 FwPkger START "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\ePOPackage\FramePkg_UPD.exe" /Install=Updater /Product=VIRUSCAN8700 /silent
2009-05-13 16:42:25 I #1124 FwPkger Creating Framework Package
2009-05-13 16:42:25 E #1124 FwPkger Invalid argument!!!!
2009-05-13 16:42:25 I #1124 FwPkger Appropriate Syntax = FrameworkPackage.exe -WorkingDir=x:\<your working dir> -Version=<Major.Minor.Build.Package>
2009-05-13 16:42:25 I #1124 FwPkger END -13
2009-05-13 16:42:59 I #2916 FwPkger START "C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\ePOPackage\FramePkg_UPD.exe"
2009-05-13 16:42:59 I #2916 FwPkger Creating Framework Package
2009-05-13 16:42:59 E #2916 FwPkger Invalid argument!!!!
2009-05-13 16:42:59 I #2916 FwPkger Appropriate Syntax = FrameworkPackage.exe -WorkingDir=x:\<your working dir> -Version=<Major.Minor.Build.Package>
2009-05-13 16:42:59 I #2916 FwPkger END -13

The FramPkg_UPD it's referring to there is one that the installation designer created. I used the full agent installer .exe (FrameworkPackage.exe) to create the installation.

I'm beginning to lose patience with this now.
greg.d
Level 7
Message 6 of 9

Bump - anyone able to help?
greg.d
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

Dont worry - I'm being a moron!

Tip: Read the error log PROPERLY yourself before giving up!
dEcSup
Level 7
Message 8 of 9

hi greg,

have you found the solution?

regards.
greg.d
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

I have found a solution, yes - although I'm not sure it will be one that works for everyone. It involves a couple of batch files and some registry editing.

Basically MID does not work with the new version of the Agent.

My workaround was as follows:

-Download the Agent package from the EPO server (Systems > New > Download Agent Installer)

- Create a VSE 8.7 installation using MID, but dont bother trying to integrate the agent

- Create a batch file that can install both packages using the /START and /WAIT commands. Obviously the Agent goes on first, followed by VSE.

- Create another batch file that adds the installation batch file to the RunOnce registry key (I can provide the script for this if you like).

- Put everything into a Preinstallation folder (i.e. c:\preinst) and make sure the batch files are pointing to the right place

- When a new machine is added to the domain, give out a policy that will copy the contents of the folder, and execute the registry batch script. On reboot, the machine will automatically install VSE and the Agent.

Job done.