cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error message: "Could not connect to net.tcp://192.168.0.3:6666/. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:00. TCP error code 10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."

This message was received after installing McAfee Antivirus on a Perkin Elmer (Thermo Fisher) Momentum/Janus Liquid/Plate Hdnling Appartus (Robot) controller computer.

This computer had to "talk" to another computer over a local switch through one of two network cards.

When trying to use the software for the robot liquid handler, it threw this error in the application logs.

I am writing this McAfee post to hopefully help anyone who googled these errors.

The solution was easy enough.  Disable McAfee while it performs the few steps that need communication with partnered computers.

This problem may affect similar multi-computer setups controlled by single programs.

In the event your enterprise uses the ePolicy agent that re-enables McAfee, you may need to temporarily uninstall when running processes that throw the net.tcp error.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
apoling
Level 14

Re: Error message: "Could not connect to net.tcp://192.168.0.3:6666/. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:00. TCP error code 10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."

Hi,

What is the exact name of the "McAfee Antivirus"? Is it not Mcafee VirusScan Enteprise?

If it is, I can imagine one rule in a module of it that blocks attempts of traffic to port range that include the above referenced 6666.

This "rule" prevents IRC communication (which normally uses port 6666) and might be set to block by default (although 'Im not sure).

Respond if you are still coping with this issue.

Attila

0 Kudos

Re: Error message: "Could not connect to net.tcp://192.168.0.3:6666/. The connection attempt lasted for a time span of 00:00:00. TCP error code 10013: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."

Indeed it was Mcafee VirusScan Enterprise.

Are you acquainted with the method by which one implements this rule you speak of?

I'd like to include it in our knowledgebase so that the scientific machine could be connected to the network and remain in compliance with security guidelines.

0 Kudos
apoling
Level 14

Are you acquainted with the method by which one implements this rule you speak of?

I'd like to believe so, yes :-) Let us verify the suspicion.

If the case is what I'm describing here then you'd see the VirusScan interface icon on the system tray encircled in red brackets, meaning the module I'm referencing here has triggered (mainly because one of its rule detected violation in the scope of activity it monitors).

If so, please right click on this icon (shape of a shield with a V inside) and select "Open Access Protection log" command from the menu that appears. this brings up a .TXT file. Scroll down and look for a line that starts with "Blocked by..." and includes the string "Prevent IRC communication...". We need the last occurrence of this entry.

If you find this line, please copy here in your reply.

If unsure what to look for, just attach here the entire file.

Thanks.

Attila

0 Kudos