cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 1920

When trying to install VirusScan Enterprice 8.7i, I get the following message: Error 1920. Service McShield (McShield) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to start system services.

Operating System Windows 2000 Professional
Service Pack 4

I tried to fix this problem with the dynamic disk solution, all though the computer do not have dymanic disks but the registry would not allow it.

I also tried to run the Windows installer patch but this did not solve the problem either.

Then I also tried to first install 8.5 and then 8.7 but same error.

Also tried to install 8.7 after removing all mcafee products but still same error. Please help me i do not know what to do anymore.
4 Replies

Got the solution

Go to the following link to find the solution:

http://solutionstechres.blogspot.com/2009/03/error-1920-service-mcafeeframwork.html

It worked.Smiley Happy

RE: Error 1920

Hello,

I am having the same issue and am looking for the solution. Can you post a link that anybody can access please. I tried to access it and was informed it is an invite only blog Smiley Sad

Thank you
Reliable Contributor rmetzger
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Probable Registry 'Rights' issue

Mcafee Installation/Update Error 1920

Usually Error 1920 is caused by an application installation that has been denied access creating or changing a registry key or value that it needs to create or change. This is sometimes the result of a leftover entry from a previous attempt, with rights that may have been co-opted by malware. Or it could be you simply don't have sufficient rights to install the software.

Are you sure you are attempting to install VirusScan Enterprise with 'Administrator' rights?

If you do have 'rights' then the following may help.

WARNING: This procedure involves editing the Windows Registry. Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious, system-wide problems that may require you to re-install Windows to correct. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use this tool at your own risk.

Solution 1:
1. Uninstall McAfee VirusScan Enterprise using the "Add/Remove Programs" option in the Control Panel. (Repeat this for other McAfee products as well.)
2a. If present, delete "C:\Program Files\Network Associates"
2b. If present, delete "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Network Associates"
2c. If present, delete "C:\Program files\McAfee"
3. Go to the Start menu, select Run, and type regedit.
4a. Find and delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Network Associates.
4b. Find and delete the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee.
5. Restart the computer.
6. Install McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and update the software.

Solution 2:
1. Make sure the folder %TEMP% refers to actually exists and is not 'read-only.'
2. Empty the %TEMP% folder of any files.
3. Restart the computer.
4. Install McAfee VirusScan Enterprise and update the software.

If you have HIPS installed and Dynamic Disks defined, then check out this link:
https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB60199&actp=search&searchid=1245437713818

Hope this helps. Post back with your results.
Ron Metzger

RE: Probable Registry 'Rights' issue

Thanks for the post. Yes, I was logged in as 'administrator' at the time. I tried to in place upgrade when the error occured. That failed and when it rolled back it pretty much removed 8.5 as well, so I reinstalled 8.5 and it succeeded without a hitch. I'll follow the steps below and post back how it went.
MPower Badge Now Available
Customers attending MPower can earn a community badge. Check into the MPower forum and say hi to have the badge awarded to your community profile.