cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
johzha
Level 7

Does McAfee scan inside 7-zip archive file?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I'm using McAfee command scanner for Linux V6.0

I'm able to use the following commad scan and detect virus inside archives such as zip, tar...

./uvscan --noexpire --exit-on-error --delete --analyze --secure ../mcafeetest/v.zip

McAfee detected virus inside archive file successfully

however, it seems McAfee is not able do the same for 7-zip archive, it's not able to detect virus inside the 7 zip file.

./uvscan --noexpire --exit-on-error --delete --analyze --secure ../mcafeetest/v.7z

The content of above 7z is same as others zip file test before.

any idea why?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sgrimmel
Level 11

Re: Does McAfee scan inside 7-zip archive file?

Jump to solution

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience. It turns out this article is being updated. It should be available by close of business today. It basically states the following:

Scanning 7-Zip (.7z) archives is currently not supported. McAfee are looking into including this in a future Engine release.

This article will be updated as new information becomes available.

I would suggest adding the article to your favourites as soon as it is published, this will enable you to periodically check what the state of affairs is.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rackroyd
Level 16

Jump to solution

Hi,

If you want to know why a particular sample isn't detected please submit it to McAfee Labs via the instructions on the 'submit a sample' link on the threat center here:

http://www.mcafee.com/us/threat_center/default.asp

thanks,

Rob.

0 Kudos
sgrimmel
Level 11

Jump to solution

Hi

See KnowledgeBase article KB69109 - Archive scanning support for 7-Zip (.7z) files

HTH

0 Kudos
johzha
Level 7

Jump to solution

Thank you but seems I'm not able to find article KB69109 . the maxmum number of

KB is KB68787 :

https://mysupport.mcafee.com/Eservice/ProductDocuments.aspx?strPage=3

search by title "Archive scanning support for 7-Zip (.7z) files " was not able to find the article either.

Please help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
sgrimmel
Level 11

Jump to solution

My sincere apologies for the inconvenience. It turns out this article is being updated. It should be available by close of business today. It basically states the following:

Scanning 7-Zip (.7z) archives is currently not supported. McAfee are looking into including this in a future Engine release.

This article will be updated as new information becomes available.

I would suggest adding the article to your favourites as soon as it is published, this will enable you to periodically check what the state of affairs is.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
sgrimmel
Level 11

Jump to solution

KB69109 has now been published. This article will be updated as information becomes available.

Regards

0 Kudos