cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Transfering systems from 5.3.2 to 5.10...

Jump to solution
I am working on transferring systems from our old 5.3.2 ePO server to a new 5.10 server. The transfer is working as far as I can tell. However, when I go to "Threat Events" for a server that was transferred, I get the below error: An unexpected error occurred Error Message: com.mcafee.orion.core.template.db.exception.ExecuteTransactionException: Synonym 'dbo.EPOEventsMT' refers to an invalid object. The 5.10 server is a new server and is NOT an upgrade from a previous version. It is a clean install with a new database. I don't have access to manage the database (it is remote and a separate team manages databases in my place of work), but I can work with the database team if you need information from that side. I am seeing some other odd database issues; such as going to a task in Server Task Log comes up blank. Same with "Running Client Task Status" and clicking "Next" at the "Request Details" under Policy Discovery also shows blank. Any suggestions?
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Transfering systems from 5.3.2 to 5.10...

Jump to solution

Alright, I got this resolved after calling support.

I went ahead and applied the CU4 update as suggested by another user. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue. After calling support, we discovered that a database was missing. Yes, it was gone. Tech Support informed me that there are two databases generated when ePO 5.10 is installed. The one we know about is the ePO_*servername* database. But, it also generates a database called ePO_*servername*_Events. The second database was missing which was causing the error as it did not exist.

After acquiring this knowledge, I reached out to the Database team and it turns out that it got removed through an automated process on their end to clean up unused/old databases. In this case, I installed ePO 5.10 on the server but had not moved any systems to it for many months. Since no events had been generated to go into the dabatase, the database was "inactive" (no connections were made) and was flagged and placed offline through their automated process. Since no one complained about it, the automated process deletes the flagged database.

The Database team pulled the database from a backup and restored it. Once it was restored and the permissions were set, the error stopped and ePO appears to be functioning normally.

TL;DR - The error was a result of the ePO server being unable to connect to the ePO_servername_Events database. In my case, it was because the database was deleted. Once restored and permissions to the ePO account were set, the error was resolved.

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Jump to solution
Unfortunately, that doesn't appear to apply to my case. I don't use the MOVE extension as it is not applicable to the installed/supported applications I use in my ePO environment.
McAfee Employee hem
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

I suggest to do Eicar test on transferred machine, ensure that we have some threat events for the machine then try to access it.

Additionally make sure that we have CU4 installed on ePO 5.10. This includes fixes for many issues in 5.10

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Alright, I got this resolved after calling support.

I went ahead and applied the CU4 update as suggested by another user. Unfortunately, this did not resolve the issue. After calling support, we discovered that a database was missing. Yes, it was gone. Tech Support informed me that there are two databases generated when ePO 5.10 is installed. The one we know about is the ePO_*servername* database. But, it also generates a database called ePO_*servername*_Events. The second database was missing which was causing the error as it did not exist.

After acquiring this knowledge, I reached out to the Database team and it turns out that it got removed through an automated process on their end to clean up unused/old databases. In this case, I installed ePO 5.10 on the server but had not moved any systems to it for many months. Since no events had been generated to go into the dabatase, the database was "inactive" (no connections were made) and was flagged and placed offline through their automated process. Since no one complained about it, the automated process deletes the flagged database.

The Database team pulled the database from a backup and restored it. Once it was restored and the permissions were set, the error stopped and ePO appears to be functioning normally.

TL;DR - The error was a result of the ePO server being unable to connect to the ePO_servername_Events database. In my case, it was because the database was deleted. Once restored and permissions to the ePO account were set, the error was resolved.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community