cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bunnyad
Level 7

Temporary paging file issue after installing solidcore 6.1.3.264 on windows 7

Hi,

I have installed Mcafee application control Solidcore 6.1.3.264  in stand alone mode on Windows 7 machine.

After solidifying machine and enabling solidcore. Application requested for system reboot. Reboot was done successfully but after restart there was information dialog from windows saying "Windows created a temporary paging file on your computer because of a problem that occured with your paging file configuration when you started your computer. The total paging file size for all disk drives maybe somewhat larger than the size you specified".

Observation: Our machine is having 16GB RAM, after windows 7 installation the page file size was 16384MB and after solidcore installation and restart it came down to 16367MB. Hence the information messgae from windows.

In another machine, RAM size was 8GB, after windows 7 installation the page file size was 12228MB and after solidcore installation and restart it came down to 8192MB. Hence the information message from windows.

Please help me in this regard so that there is no temporary page file creation after solidcore installation.

Note: Page file is set intentionally to certain value for our application to work fine.

PFA..

0 Kudos
17 Replies
neelima
Level 12

Re: Temporary paging file issue after installing solidcore 6.1.3.264 on windows 7

Bharat,

Please file a case with Support and they should be able to help you.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
mark.a.ivy
Level 7

Re: Temporary paging file issue after installing solidcore 6.1.3.264 on windows 7

I ran into this issue several months ago with solidcore version 6.1.2.  I opened up a case and have been working this case with McAfee for the past few months with no resolution yet.  They have been unable to reproduct the issue in house but I can consistently reproduce it.  The one thing I have noticed is that after two reboots of the system after SC is installed you won't see this error again until you upgrade or reinstall SC again.  Good luck!

0 Kudos
bunnyad
Level 7

Thanks Mark.

Please let me know if you get or come to know any solution for this.

0 Kudos
nddat
Level 7

I encountered a similar problem, when using McAfee Application Control on a Windows 7 embedded system.  On our embedded system, we place the page file on a volume separate from OS volume.  After enabling McAfee, the subsequent reboot would always result in the page file being deleted.  During the restart some Windows operations would require a page file, and Windows would end up creating a temporary page file on C: drive (OS volume).  If I reboot a second time, problem usually (but not all the time) resolved itself - the temporary page file on C: drive would be removed.

I tried experimenting with unsolidifying the page file before the first reboot, but that didn't make the temporary page file problem go away.  What I did find that was effective was to issue the solidify command for specific drives - avoiding the drive with my page file.  (This was a feasible option for my situation, as this drive does not contain any binaries that I wanted to whitelist.)  So if McAfee hasn't solidified a drive, then on the reboot after enabling McAfee; the page file on that unsolidified drive is left alone.  The page file is not deleted, and Windows does not have need to create a temporary page file on another drive.

0 Kudos
neelima
Level 12

We are looking into this. I will update this thread as soon as there is update.

0 Kudos
avilt
Level 7

Hi Neelima

Do you have any updates on this issue? I am also facing the same problem.

0 Kudos
neelima
Level 12

Sorry avilt,

I dont have any new update. Can you file a support case?

Support is best placed to look into this in detail.

Thanks,

Neelima

0 Kudos
avilt
Level 7

Confirmed with support, this is a normal behavior in 6.1 & above. we need to skip the pagefile from fingerprint to prevent this error.

Regis
Level 12

Interesting.   Can you say more about how to skip the pagefile from fingerprint?  AKA adding pagefile.sys to the skiplist?

Also, What's interesting to me is that I see this behavior on my  virtual win7 box that's hosted on VMWare ESX/Vsphere, but I don't see this behavior with the same OS running on hardware?

Same policy for both solidcore installations...

0 Kudos