Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
avilt
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

SC BLANK POLICY

I am planning to deploy SC on Windows using ePO.

What is the best way to define the policy, should I start from complete blank policy (with no updater rules)  after solidification?

Example: I am using SCCM for Windows patch deployment. So is it sufficient to add builtin SCCM rule and then add the required rules based on Observe mode.

Please advise

Labels (1)
7 Replies
gnautiya
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: SC BLANK POLICY

Hi,

We always recommend to have default policy applied and keep system in observe mode and monitor your day to day operations.

Policy based on policy discovery requests can be your 2nd policy for the system, we do support multi slot , so can have 2 policies applied.

Regards

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
avilt
Level 9
Message 3 of 8

The default policy has defined several updaters such as altiris, Java, Adobe

Is it really recommended to go with default policy?

Also how do we define multislot policy? Are you referring to rules?

BenEllis
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

its really recommended to go with mcafee default and mcafee applications.

but its honestly your enviornment and your choice. Just make sure you create a policy with the APPLICATIONS you have installed. If you dont have any on your list you can always use observe mode to create your own. 

She means multislotted policies meaning you can assign multiple policies example my default, mcafee default and mcafee applications to the same machine and they will all apply.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

avilt
Level 9
Message 5 of 8

There are 119 predefined Rules which are member of solidcore policy "McAfee Default".
Out systems are not connected to the Internet and except for Windows updates we dont need updates on the systems.
In such case can I remove non-requrid rules from policy? TSome of the policy such as Altiris, Apple Itunes, Autocad, AVG, CA Unicenter, Imail, Kaspersky, Lotus Domino, Sophos, VNC, Zone Alarm, Yahoo etc.

Is it documented anywhere to go with default McAfee policies?

BenEllis
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

You can duplicate the mcafee default and trim it down to only the applications you are using. 

The only thing you dont want to do is duplicate the rule group and apply the same things cause if the rule group gets updated you will not know. So its best practice to create your own rule group and only add your modifications if you need to add additional binaries.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

avilt
Level 9
Message 7 of 8

If I reduce the rule groups (non required rule groups) can I expect better system performance?

My understanding is that too many rule groups will slow down the SC performance.

I have some critical graphics applications which require real-time data polling. Please advise.

BenEllis
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

You can expect policy enforcement to be less. But if you are experiencing performance issues i suggest you open a case with support. Then we can get to the bottom of the performance issue. 

Too many rules depending what they are  will slow down policy enforcement.. Because it will take time to apply each rule and check if things changed. 

If you have some critical applications you can try to skiplist -i the folder and see if it helps. If not i suggest open a case 

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community