Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

NIST CPE and Applicatoin Control

Jump to solution

Good afternoon.

I understand that I can import the CPE dictionary from NIST.  I was able to do that and run the server task to match the found software to the CPE.  

I just don't know what I can *do* with this information?  I suspect it is useful but i don't know why.  The documents don't tell me why I would use it, just that I can.

Any information that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: NIST CPE and Applicatoin Control

Jump to solution

CPE dictionary import was a function requested by the governments. 

Common Platform Enumeration (CPE) is a feature that matches applications in the McAfee Application Control inventory with applications registered on the CPE official dictionary or custom CPE dictionary, using different matching methods.

The CPE official dictionary is hosted and maintained by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). It can be downloaded from https://nvd.nist.gov/products/cpe.

This allows them to match OS/Application to dictionary they use. So you could use a standard like that and match your applications but nothing more than that.. 

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: NIST CPE and Applicatoin Control

Jump to solution

CPE dictionary import was a function requested by the governments. 

Common Platform Enumeration (CPE) is a feature that matches applications in the McAfee Application Control inventory with applications registered on the CPE official dictionary or custom CPE dictionary, using different matching methods.

The CPE official dictionary is hosted and maintained by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). It can be downloaded from https://nvd.nist.gov/products/cpe.

This allows them to match OS/Application to dictionary they use. So you could use a standard like that and match your applications but nothing more than that.. 

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community