cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inventory Update Policy

Jump to solution

hi,

i want to know what are these policies do in MAC:

• Pull Complete Inventory Interval:  This value indicates the minimum interval (in
    number of days) between consecutive inventory runs. By default, this value is set to seven days.
  • Receive Inventory Updates Interval: This value indicates the minimum lag (in number of hours) between the generation of consecutive inventory
    updates. By default, this value is set to three hours.

I've read MAC product guide document but i couldn't understand these policies.

Thanx for replies. 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee BEllis
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Inventory Update Policy

Jump to solution

To understand this first you need to understand what inventory is:

Inventory is the whitelist created on the initial scan, it contains details like Hash, Where seen, Reputation, location.. Etc..

Inventory information available on the McAfee ePO console for endpoints is updated at regular intervals based on changes made at the endpoints. 

A change to an endpoint's inventory triggers inventory information to be pushed to the McAfee ePO server after the agent-server communication interval. This keeps the inventory information on the McAfee ePO server updated with changes to inventory at the endpoints. Also, this avoids the need to manually fetch inventory for an endpoint to get the updated inventory.

These changes on an endpoint cause corresponding changes to the inventory information on the McAfee ePO server:

• Addition of a file
  • Modification of an existing file
  • Rename of a file
  • Deletion of a file
  • Solidification or Unsolidification of a file

Second you need to know what Inventory Fetch optimization is.

Inventory fetch optimization

With this release, we have enhanced the inventory fetch workflows. For Application Control, the minimum interval between consecutive inventory fetch runs is set to seven days by default. This implies that for an endpoint you can pull inventory once a week.

Starting with the 8.0.0 release, if less than seven days have passed since last fetch inventory, inventory updates are fetched. If more than seven days have passed since last fetch inventory, complete inventory details are fetched.

Note:  For releases 7.0.1 and earlier, if inventory for the endpoint was fetched in the last seven days, the client task fails.

Now to answer your question:

Pull complete inventory is the full inventory update sent to EPO from your machine by default every 7 days.

Second is the inventory updates we send every 3 hrs to epo for reporting to make sure your inventory reporting is up to date. 

To view inventory please go to Menu > Solidcore Inventory.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee BEllis
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

No it means Every 7 days we run the FULL Pull inventory task and collect the FULL inventory

The 3 hrs thing is a sync that sends back changes of your inventory every 3 hrs.. 

Asci sends properties not inventory changes.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

6 Replies
McAfee Employee BEllis
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

To understand this first you need to understand what inventory is:

Inventory is the whitelist created on the initial scan, it contains details like Hash, Where seen, Reputation, location.. Etc..

Inventory information available on the McAfee ePO console for endpoints is updated at regular intervals based on changes made at the endpoints. 

A change to an endpoint's inventory triggers inventory information to be pushed to the McAfee ePO server after the agent-server communication interval. This keeps the inventory information on the McAfee ePO server updated with changes to inventory at the endpoints. Also, this avoids the need to manually fetch inventory for an endpoint to get the updated inventory.

These changes on an endpoint cause corresponding changes to the inventory information on the McAfee ePO server:

• Addition of a file
  • Modification of an existing file
  • Rename of a file
  • Deletion of a file
  • Solidification or Unsolidification of a file

Second you need to know what Inventory Fetch optimization is.

Inventory fetch optimization

With this release, we have enhanced the inventory fetch workflows. For Application Control, the minimum interval between consecutive inventory fetch runs is set to seven days by default. This implies that for an endpoint you can pull inventory once a week.

Starting with the 8.0.0 release, if less than seven days have passed since last fetch inventory, inventory updates are fetched. If more than seven days have passed since last fetch inventory, complete inventory details are fetched.

Note:  For releases 7.0.1 and earlier, if inventory for the endpoint was fetched in the last seven days, the client task fails.

Now to answer your question:

Pull complete inventory is the full inventory update sent to EPO from your machine by default every 7 days.

Second is the inventory updates we send every 3 hrs to epo for reporting to make sure your inventory reporting is up to date. 

To view inventory please go to Menu > Solidcore Inventory.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

thank you Benjamin,

it means Pull Inventory Task triggers every 7 days and each time run for 3 (based on policy) times on endpoints?

why this task needed cause every changes (on Inventory) that happened on endpoints is send to epo after ASCI?

McAfee Employee BEllis
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

No it means Every 7 days we run the FULL Pull inventory task and collect the FULL inventory

The 3 hrs thing is a sync that sends back changes of your inventory every 3 hrs.. 

Asci sends properties not inventory changes.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

thanks a lot. i've got it.

sorry, but i have another question. 

SC: Pull Inventory client task do the same thing (Complete Inventory Fetch)?

McAfee Employee gnautiya
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Pull Inventory works as below:

Prior to 8.x versions:

This task use to get complete inventory every 7 days, restriction was to run after 7 days if done once.

From 8.x versions:

1) This  get complete inventory every 7 days, restriction was to run after 7 days if done once.

2) If this task is run within 7 days, only inv diff is fetched.

Regards

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

perfectly perfect.

thanks for replies and consideration.🙂👍 

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community