Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jmac24
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Going from update mode back to enabled mode

Jump to solution

I updated some Linux systems that are running Change Control from v6.3.0.180 to 6.3.0.749. We're not blocking anything in enabled mode, just monitoring \logging changes. Can I just run the task to put these back into enabled mode or do they need to be restarted first?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: Going from update mode back to enabled mode

Jump to solution

Please follow the step below to put the machine back to enable mode 

1. On the McAfee ePO console, select Menu | Systems | System Tree.
  2. Apply the client task to a group or an endpoint:
    Group — Select a group in the System Tree and click the Assigned Client Tasks tab.
    • Endpoint — Select the endpoint on the Systems page and click Actions | Agent | Modify Tasks on a Single System
  3. Click Actions | New Client Task Assignment to open the Client Task Assignment Builder page.

1. a Select the Solidcore 8.x.x product and SC: Enable task type, then click Create New Task.
    2. On the Client Task Catalog page, specify the task name and add any descriptive information.
    3. Select the platform, the subplatform, and indicate whether to enable Change Control, Application Control, or both.
  4. Deselect Reboot endpoint checkbox to enable Change Control and Application Control.
  5. Click Save, then click Next to open the Schedule page.
    1. Specify scheduling details, then click Next.
    2. Review and verify the task details, then click Save.
  6. Click Wake Up Agents to send your client task to the endpoint immediately
  7. Verify that the software is enabled
  8. Click Wake Up Agents to fetch properties immediately.
  9. Click a system on the Systems page. The details for the selected system are displayed.
  10. Select the Products tab and review the Solidcore version. Click the row to review the license status
Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
4 Replies
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Please follow the step below to put the machine back to enable mode 

1. On the McAfee ePO console, select Menu | Systems | System Tree.
  2. Apply the client task to a group or an endpoint:
    Group — Select a group in the System Tree and click the Assigned Client Tasks tab.
    • Endpoint — Select the endpoint on the Systems page and click Actions | Agent | Modify Tasks on a Single System
  3. Click Actions | New Client Task Assignment to open the Client Task Assignment Builder page.

1. a Select the Solidcore 8.x.x product and SC: Enable task type, then click Create New Task.
    2. On the Client Task Catalog page, specify the task name and add any descriptive information.
    3. Select the platform, the subplatform, and indicate whether to enable Change Control, Application Control, or both.
  4. Deselect Reboot endpoint checkbox to enable Change Control and Application Control.
  5. Click Save, then click Next to open the Schedule page.
    1. Specify scheduling details, then click Next.
    2. Review and verify the task details, then click Save.
  6. Click Wake Up Agents to send your client task to the endpoint immediately
  7. Verify that the software is enabled
  8. Click Wake Up Agents to fetch properties immediately.
  9. Click a system on the Systems page. The details for the selected system are displayed.
  10. Select the Products tab and review the Solidcore version. Click the row to review the license status
Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
Jmac24
Level 11
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

I already have all that in place and know how to run a client task on a system. My question was whether or not I can re-enable without restarting after the update. The upgrade process has a reboot in between in the guide, but I am wondering if it is required before re-enabling. The reason is that these will be patched tomorrow and then restarted and I'd rather not have to restart them twice.

I guess another thing to ask: Is there harm in leaving them in update mode temporarily, since we are only monitoring, not blocking?

McAfee Employee BEllis
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

All upgrades require a reboot for the new version. I would recommend rebooting if you upgraded to load the new driver.

You can leave it in update mode if you are not blocking anything.

McAfee Support

Benjamin Ellis

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Jmac24 MACC upgrades require a reboot to load the new kernel driver.  Until the systems are restarted, they will continue to run with the previous kernel driver, but yes, you can run in Enable mode until then. It is recommended to restart asap after MACC upgrades though.  If this is a Linux server, it's suggested to perform the upgrade during a maintenance window, where a reboot can typically be performed (depending on how you manage your servers).

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community